Damage by Bleeding? / Bleed the ABS System?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When time comes to bleed the brakes on my '13 Corolla & Camry....

A. Any know special requirements for the ABS to be considered? aka.... Can it be damaged by "ignoring it" during a bleed?

B. Anyone know how to bleed the ABs in any make of vehicle? Not much on you tube on the issue.

I've never cycled the pump for bleeding the brakes. The pumps have normally open valves that cycle on to shut the line off when the pump is active.

I've bled the brakes on my Hyundai Genesis Coupe with the active traction control numerous times with no pump cycling. The repair manual doesn't say anything about cycling the pump. I've even replaced pumps on Ford Taurus and did not have to cycle the pump.

The ABS has no function at all during normal braking. Fluid pressure goes into the ABS unit through two lines from the master cylinder and out the four lines going to each wheel caliper. I replace the brake fluid every two years and the ABS might as well not be there, just like SHOZ stated above.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I never use the 2 person method. Only a Mity-Vac or gravity bleed!

This is correct - almost universally not a problem on most cars built the last 15 years - as long as system is never allowed to be "dry" ( lower fluid level than the bleed ports in the master cylinder fluid reservoir ) it should not be a problem to bleed this way. If it has been run dry because of leaks/not following directions above/master cyl replacement it may require more special procedures to obtain a proper bleed.

BurrWinder

Just open all 4 bleeders with a container on all 4 corners to catch the drips. Continually monitor the master cylinder such that it does NOT go empty. And do not touch the brake pedal until all 4 bleeders are closed and you are done!!

You will not have a problem.

The ABS has no function at all during normal braking. Fluid pressure goes into the ABS unit through two lines from the master cylinder and out the four lines going to each wheel caliper. I replace the brake fluid every two years and the ABS might as well not be there, just like SHOZ stated above.

This is the situation on my Ford Ranger.

When I change my fluid (every 2 years),
I pressurize the 'reservoir' and the fluid travels thru the ABS Modulator with no problem.

I have a Motive power bleeder and have bled dozens of abs equipped systems with it with no issues. Definitely a handy tool to have in the shop. I just flushed the brakes on the wifes TDI this morning. Once I had it on the lift and the wheels off it took all of about 10 minutes to flush the entire system.

I've seen the Motive bleeder in action, and it seems to be great. When I tried it, not so much. I picked up a Mityvac and like that--wish it didn't make the air bubbles, but whatever. I think the Mityvac will work on my Toyota's better, which don't have screw on caps on the master cylinder.

I have to wonder if one just pulled fluid out once/year instead of every two then the situation would be better. Then worrying about getting a full flush isn't warranted. If it's a 10 minute job that you can do during a tire rotation, then why go to long efforts? Drain and fill the m/c once/year, and pull just a bit of fluid once or twice a year from each caliper.

The FSM for my 2008 Jeep Wrangler says to replace the brake fluid once by bleeding, then cycle the ABS with the starSCAN, then do a second full bleed.

So it appears Chrysler thinks its important.
Makes me wonder.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Use a pressure bleeder

what does that have to do with bleeding the ABS unit?

While it's probably overkill, I bleed the ABS unit the poor man's way: bleed the brakes, go out to a gravel road and lock it up a few times to cycle the fluid in the ABS, then bleed again. At a minimum, if you have an old car that has gone a long time w/o a flush, I think this is a good idea.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
I have a Motive power bleeder and have bled dozens of abs equipped systems with it with no issues. Definitely a handy tool to have in the shop. I just flushed the brakes on the wifes TDI this morning. Once I had it on the lift and the wheels off it took all of about 10 minutes to flush the entire system.

Wow, slick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back