2014 Silverado 5.3 Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father got a Silverado this summer..it recommends 0w-20. Had it a couple months and already more than 8,000 miles.
It's the 5.3.

He asked me the other day what he should put in it, so I'm relaying it to people who might know beyond just looking in the manual.

I would normally tell him to just put in the specified grade and follow the OLM but it is DI, VVT, and has cylinder deactivation so I didn't know if it might require more from its oil. I want to say it is an 8qt sump. He's a general contractor so it's going to tow up to its rated capacity on a regular basis. He keeps his vehicles a long time. When it isn't suitable to DD anymore I guarantee it'll stay in the fleet as more of a "beater truck" but that will be a long time and a lot of miles from now.

There is still a couple free changes yet but if there is any potential upside to bringing in a better oil for them to use it will be done that way.
It's a remarkably smooth powerful and efficient engine. Makes sense to take care of it.

Its under warranty so use exactly what the manual says as far as approved oils for the truck.
As far as the vvt,cylinder deactivation and whatever else is hydraulically actuated I can assure you that even if a 40 grade was accidentally on purpose used all those systems would work just fine,albeit they would operate milliseconds slower though.
Think about it. A 20 grade at cold start up is much thicker than a 40 grade hot,and those same systems work just fine then,so once the oils hot,in whatever grade vvt and afm will still operate as designed.
I've got a charger rt. I read countless posts about the hemi just has to have a 20 grade or the mds won't work and vvt won't work and blah blah blah and its utter carp. They work just fine. Engines can operate with a range of oil viscosities.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Toyota 0w20 is tops in my book.

If you want easy to grab while shopping at Walmart get Mobil 1 AFE 0w20.

Toyota 0W-20 isn't Dexos1 certified so I wouldn't recommend that.

Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE at Walmart for $22.66 per 5 quart jugs is probably the current best buy.

I would recommend that your dad continues to get the free dealership changes (just as well get your money's worth). The ACDelco 0W-20 syn blend will have no problem going down to 0% on the oil life monitor. From what I have gathered, the free oil change program is for (4) changes in the 2 years/24,000 period. I went in at 20% and 19% OLM and they didn't hassle me about coming in too soon or anything.

I have had 2 UOA's done now on my 14 Sierra 5.3 and the numbers are looking good: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3439744/GM_Dexos_0W-20_6,069_miles_201#Post3439744

Royal Purple without a doubt!
thumbsup2.gif
It is the best oil on that list.

If you want something that is more affordable, go Mobil 1.

Those are the only two I would go with off of that list personally.

Just my
49.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Royal Purple without a doubt!
thumbsup2.gif
It is the best oil on that list.

If you want something that is more affordable, go Mobil 1.

Those are the only two I would go with off of that list personally.

Just my
49.gif

One is Valvoline Synpower and one is RP. Guess which one

TBN, mg KOH/g, 8.4
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt, 10.8
Viscosity @ 40ºC, cSt, 61.6
Viscosity Index 168
Viscosity @ -30ºC mPa s (cP) 4,329
Volatility, mass % loss, 1 hr, @ 10.6
ELEMENTAL ANALYSIS-c
Additives
Calcium 2,125
Magnesium, ppm 7
Phosphorus, ppm 699
Zinc, ppm 825
Molybdenum, ppm Barium, ppm
Boron, ppm 4
Silicon, ppm-d 5
Potassium, 6
Manganese, ppm Titanium, ppm Copper, ppm Sodium, ppm 461
Vanadium, ppm
TBN, mg KOH/g, 8.7
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt, 10.4
Viscosity @ 40ºC, cSt, 61.5
Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270) 159.0
Viscosity @ -30ºC mPa s (cP) 5,562
Volatility, mass % loss, 1 hr, @ 250ºC 10.9
ELEMENTAL ANALYSIS-c
Additives
Calcium 2,161
Magnesium, ppm 10
Phosphorus, ppm 706
Zinc, ppm 837
Molybdenum, ppm Barium, ppm
Boron, ppm Silicon, ppm-d 4
Potassium, ppm 5
Manganese, ppm 1
Titanium, ppm Copper, ppm Sodium, ppm 468
Vanadium, ppm
What is so great about Royal Purple API again?

Man, its almost the same results, i was about to ask if RP was worth the extra cost, but really im not sure anymore.
Synpower is a very good oil.

Btw here in Canada we have a deal on NAPA syn, 26.99 a jug, its apparently Synpower re branded, some say it has a weaker additive package, it is still need to be proven tho, but if its close to Synpower, why waist money on RP after seeing this UOA.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Who cares if TGMO isn't Dexos? It's still the best

The person that has to take their vehicle in for warranty work.

Thanks for the help

He was suspicious that the dealership told him they use a blend for the free changes, good to know it's fine to run down on the OLM

Fun to watch his old school brain struggle with the concept of 0w20 in a truck. M1 will probably give him the most warm fuzzies, seems to be easily available, that's probably what I'll be putting in for him.

I take manufacturers recommendations with a grain of salt ever since I looked at some UOAs of my Audi's DI Turbo motor with a spec'd oci of 10,000 miles (which I used to follow like like it was gospel)

now I trust but verify

Originally Posted By: lawrencerd
It's a remarkably smooth powerful and efficient engine. Makes sense to take care of it.

Agreed, it is. And all it needs is any Dexos certified oil. Since the warranty on these is so long I strongly advise against using any oil not correctly verified as such.

(we have a bunch of these)

from the Mobil website:

"Question:
Is 0W-20 Motor Oil Suitable for Use in Hot Climates
Okay, I am having trouble believing that 0W-20 oil is thick enough for the Florida heat (in summer). I have a new Tacoma. I have no problem with the 0W part (cold starting) that seems good but 20 weight in the heat of summer does not seem to be enough. Even the manual says if you are towing or going at excessively high speeds, it might be necessary to use a higher viscosity oil. Please help me get to the truth. I do not want to have what I would consider premature wear due to CAFE standards needing to be met, I am all for gas mileage but I am not willing to sacrifice the life of my engine for an extra 146.00 dollars in gas savings over a hundred thousand miles!!!! I will and have always changed my own oil, and Mobil 1 has been my brand ever since I worked at a gas station for my first job as a teenager. But I need some clarification on this 0W-20 weight, I do believe 5W-30 is better suited to the Florida climate, especially when you consider the fact that I tow a boat at least once a week.
-- Gary Gilmore, Panama, FL
Answer:
Mobil 1 0W-20 is certainly robust enough to handle the climate in Florida, but considering there is additional towing involved, Mobil 1 5W-30 can provide the extra viscosity you may need when towing."

Personally, if I was towing regularly, I'd at least use the 5W-30.

These EcoTec3 motors have an external oil cooler. I was able to get my Scangauge to read oil temps. When not towing, oil temps stay around 205°F (plus/minus a few degrees...about the same temp as the engine coolant). When towing my boat, I might see 220°F when cruising at 70 MPH (I live in flat country so not a lot of downshifting).

RPM's seem to make the biggest difference for what temp the oil is at. When towing my boat, if I enable tow/haul mode, the transmission will usually stay in 5th gear (of 6 total). I did an experiment one day when not towing and placed the transmission in 5th gear with cruise set at 70 MPH. Oil temps eventually rose to about the same as when I was towing at that speed (in same gear). It seems that the higher RPM's of 5th gear is what caused the increase in temps, not necessarily the extra load of towing the boat. If I dropped to 4th gear I could get the oil up to 230°F-235°F and 3rd gear I saw 250°F before I decided that was high enough and went back to 6th. Temps slowly came back down to around 210°F.

Hey if 0w20 is good enough for toyota's tundra it's good enough for a Chevy. Some say 0w20 will wear your motor out faster but you will get better MPG.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
These EcoTec3 motors have an external oil cooler. I was able to get my Scangauge to read oil temps. When not towing, oil temps stay around 205°F (plus/minus a few degrees...about the same temp as the engine coolant). When towing my boat, I might see 220°F when cruising at 70 MPH (I live in flat country so not a lot of downshifting).

RPM's seem to make the biggest difference for what temp the oil is at. When towing my boat, if I enable tow/haul mode, the transmission will usually stay in 5th gear (of 6 total). I did an experiment one day when not towing and placed the transmission in 5th gear with cruise set at 70 MPH. Oil temps eventually rose to about the same as when I was towing at that speed (in same gear). It seems that the higher RPM's of 5th gear is what caused the increase in temps, not necessarily the extra load of towing the boat. If I dropped to 4th gear I could get the oil up to 230°F-235°F and 3rd gear I saw 250°F before I decided that was high enough and went back to 6th. Temps slowly came back down to around 210°F.

We have a lot full of these. Not all of ours are DI, but most have an oil cooler that runs directly into the radiator. Since the factory thermostat is quite hot this actually is great for engine life. I would think it is an even bigger plus in cold climates to warm the oil quicker...

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
Man, its almost the same results, i was about to ask if RP was worth the extra cost, but really im not sure anymore.
Synpower is a very good oil.

Btw here in Canada we have a deal on NAPA syn, 26.99 a jug, its apparently Synpower re branded, some say it has a weaker additive package, it is still need to be proven tho, but if its close to Synpower, why waist money on RP after seeing this UOA.

I would use Napa SYN in your case and not look back. Do not let the Royal Purple fan club catch you saying that Synpower has almost the same additive pack and results in VOA's. We will both be labeled heretics and mobs with torches will be tracking us down.

For me its worth the extra $20 or so to use the RP. Do some more research. There are some really good tests out there that show Royal Purple dominating the competition. If not, I still maintain that Mobil 1 is going to be the next best thing! Mobil 1 is pretty much the standard that all other oils are judged by.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
For me its worth the extra $20 or so to use the RP. Do some more research. There are some really good tests out there that show Royal Purple dominating the competition. If not, I still maintain that Mobil 1 is going to be the next best thing! Mobil 1 is pretty much the standard that all other oils are judged by.

That's quite humorous but if these studies do exist please post a link. I doubt they exist or are at all relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back