87 350 TBI oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
would like some input on oil recommendation for my trails mud truck. Uses no oil runs good but old with high miles. Does run a lot of high-temperature With it being slow moving off road truck. Thanks

10W-30 or 10W-40 HM or semi synthetic. Full synthetic if the price doesn't bother you and you're pretty sure it has no leaks - it may get some leaks after synthetic though. My 2 cents.

it does have a 350 transmission so it runs a lot of RPM's down the road to so I was thinking a heavier weight to protect from heat

Quaker State Defy or Quaker State Conventional 5W-30 or 10W-30. The Defy will have all the zinc you'll ever need for a stock TBI truck 350. If the "high zinc" isn't an issue, run the good ole green bottle.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Quaker State Defy or Quaker State Conventional 5W-30 or 10W-30. The Defy will have all the zinc you'll ever need for a stock TBI truck 350. If the "high zinc" isn't an issue, run the good ole green bottle.

Seconded. QS Defy or QSGB would both be fine.

In all reality, any name brand conventional 5w-30 would do the job just fine.

Rotella t-5 or t-6. All the zinc and phosphors you need + excellent hths to deal with the heat and you can run either year around.

The reason why some get leaks after feeding an older engine synthetic oil is because it can clean the gunk out of the aged seals.

You might have a flat tappet camshaft. Second on the Rotella T6. I just put RT6 into my 1992 Caprice, with TBI 5.7.

Read my lips: No new leaks.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: chevytherealdeal
would like some input on oil recommendation for my trails mud truck. Uses no oil runs good but old with high miles. Does run a lot of high-temperature With it being slow moving off road truck. Thanks

Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 10w-30. $14.99/gallon at your local Tractor Supply. Excellent product at a reasonable price.

Old with high miles - Delo, Delvac, or Rotella dino oils. Keeps older high mileage motors quiet and plenty thin for all the clearances you've developed
laugh.gif

Why put $25/gal synthetic in a high mileage motor? All the wear has already been done... Cushion now needed to stop parts from banging together
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back