Safe Honda Transmission Fluid Alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a 1999 Acura TL 3.2L V6 with a 4 Speed B7VA transmission and i would like some input on what's a good and safe alternative for my automatic transmission? I know there's Honda's DW-1 fluid and there's a Honda dealer 7 mile's from where i live but are there any other people that drive a older model Acura or Honda that use's aftermarket transmission fluid's? I also would like to hear your result's on how your Honda Transmission shift's using aftermarket fluid's.... Thank's
smile.gif

I use Amsoil low viscosity fluid in my Honda Van. Amsoil ATL. You would need their regular ATF because the year of your car. Run it with confidence as it's one of the best on the market.

Lots of folks use Maxlife too with great results

Last edited:
I posted on this topic in the past and alot of folks replied with "stick with the Honda fluid" so i have with no complaints..

Originally Posted By: charmer37
Hello,

I have a 1999 Acura TL 3.2L V6 with a 4 Speed B7VA transmission and i would like some input on what's a good and safe alternative for my automatic transmission? I know there's Honda's DW-1 fluid and there's a Honda dealer 7 mile's from where i live but are there any other people that drive a older model Acura or Honda that use's aftermarket transmission fluid's? I also would like to hear your result's on how your Honda Transmission shift's using aftermarket fluid's.... Thank's
smile.gif

I would recommend Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Use it in all my Honda's/Acura's and my friends 00 Oddy. I have over 150k miles of use between my cars w/ this ATF. Other alternatives are Castrol HM ATF and Import Multi Vehicle, Redline D6 ATF, Amsoil ATF. Lots of options out there.The Maxlife can be found at Walmart for $17 a gallon. Easy and cheap source.

Cool, I was thinking about Valvoline Maxlife ATF. My 99 Acura TL came with Honda's Z-1 transmission fluid.

I've used both Amsoil or Renewable Lubricants, Inc (RLI) tranny fluid with zero issues in Acuras and my previous 2005 Honda Accord.

Maxlife would be my third choice.

Any and all full synthetic universal multivehicle ATF's that mention either Honda spec can be used.

Valvoline's Import or Maxlife, Amalie, Amsoil, Redline, Smittys, Royalpurple, Lubegard, Wynns, BG, Schaeffers, Cam2, Castrol.. are some to look into.

On a budget, the major brand and store brand synthblends are great too.

Best alternative for you is Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF.
Like many others have said on BITOG, it seems that Castrol has the correct friction modifiers and the right amount of them to give
OEM like performance. The most important thing to think about is not how the transmission "feels" when you drive it but more importantly will the fluid you use provide the OEM level of
durability for the unit.

~50k+ miles between two Hondas on MaxLife now, 01 Civic, 3.0L Accord, both spec'd for Z1. Shifting fine. No need to chase pricey DW1. Best value is the gallon jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back