Benefits of Oil Bypass Filtration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, less of an issue with gassers. The primary reason for diesels to use them is soot loading. With the advent of EGR on diesels, soot is a real problem. A bypass or spinner unit can really clean that out of oil. Actual wear particles and such are not really a major problem even with the bigger diesels as for needing a bypass. This is why I have never considered it for my gas pickup, just a good quality synthetic media full flow. But every heavy diesel I have owned has gotten a bypass unit put on at the first oil change. The Powerstokes, Dmax's, Cummins engines in pickups could definitely benefit from a bypass also. Again, the soot loading of the oil.

Originally Posted By: INTJ

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an Amsoil kit (without the dual). It was 125 on Ebay but i reaped nil on extended OCI for 4.6 Triton. It flowed the same volume at near 60k miles on it, as when new. I cut it open and found nothing tangible in the pleats. I was using Mobil 1 for filter. I'm sure it would have had an indefinite life, until it tore. A waste of money and time for my application. Yesterday i removed it.

Sounds like something was installed properly if you had 60k on it and was clean. Was this a new truck? You should have left it on there...

You didnt bother to do a UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back