cost of European oil vs regular oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me if this is a topic that has already been discussed. I am considering buying a new car for my wife. One of them is an Audi allroad. I see that European oil is required, especially with a VW spec required. The other cars we are considering don't have this requirement. I usually buy only synthetic oil, and when I do my own changes, I buy at Walmart and the cost increase is negligible compared to conventional (IMHO, and that's not the issue.)

What I want to know is what the typical cost is of oil that meets Audi's VW requirements (sorry I can't remember the exact number, but I am sure all the oil experts here know what I am talking about.)

Mobil 1 euro formula is available @ walmart for about $24/5 qts; this is if you are talking VW502. Diesel engines, totally different ball game.

Last edited:
M1 and Edge 0w40 probably meet the standards and are available at Walmart for $25 for 5qt jug.

As others already mentioned, Euro oil does not cost any more than other synthetics at Walmart.

2014-09-07110941.jpg

Cost of oil would be the last thing I'd worry with Audi/BMW/Mercedes. I'm not sure if much disaster engines/gearboxes have been sold with them to north america, but you should do your homework carefully anyway.

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
Cost of oil would be the last thing I'd worry with Audi/BMW/Mercedes. I'm not sure if much disaster engines/gearboxes have been sold with them to north america, but you should do your homework carefully anyway.

Translation please?

Sorry, I tried to state that selecting a premium grade european car with problematic engine or gearbox version is much greater threat than a cost of oil or other normal maintenance.

M1 0w-40 is the gold standard for oil,and the Walmart cost is pretty much unbeatable. Castrol has a euro oil for the same price at wal-mart if you prefer.
Pennzoil ultra has a euro oil too although I cannot comment on cost and availability however I'm confident it's a quality product.
If cost is no object redline makes a top quality oil too.
Redline gear oils cannot be beat in my experience.
So if buying a European automobile the oil would be the least of my worries. A competent reputable,and reasonable prices would be my first priority.

If you buy an Audi Allroad and attempt to keep it past the factory warranty the cost of fluids will be the least of your expenses. In simple terms don't step outside the warranty requirements, ever, for any reason. If an oil is not absolutely without a doubt approved don't use it, for any reason. And by the way, keep records of everything, very good records. The Allroad is a wonderful driving vehicle, very capable, very rewarding to the driver that learns the advantages of such a vehicle, an experience everyone should enjoy at least one time in their lives, but under the hood lies a sleeping dragon. Don't irritate it, it can bite.

Originally Posted By: PeterGreen
Forgive me if this is a topic that has already been discussed. I am considering buying a new car for my wife. One of them is an Audi allroad. I see that European oil is required, especially with a VW spec required. The other cars we are considering don't have this requirement. I usually buy only synthetic oil, and when I do my own changes, I buy at Walmart and the cost increase is negligible compared to conventional (IMHO, and that's not the issue.)

What I want to know is what the typical cost is of oil that meets Audi's VW requirements (sorry I can't remember the exact number, but I am sure all the oil experts here know what I am talking about.)

Audi will specify 502.00 standard, unless it's an R8 GT (501.01/505.00) or a TDI (507.00).

Wally world is your friend, as they carry both Mobil 1 0w40 European formula and Castrol Edge (Syntec) 0w40.

though, I personally use on my 2.0T Shell Rotella T6. Though might switch to Chevron Delo 400 LE Synthetic next.

Originally Posted By: PeterGreen
thanks for that post, OneEyeJack, it was what I needed to hear.

You will not make mistake with that car.
Only thing I can recommend is once you are pass free oil changes, shift to Do It Yourself strategy.
M1 0W40 is much better oil then what VW/Audi uses in dealerships although it is VW 502.00 approved.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Only thing I can recommend is once you are pass free oil changes,

Audi does not include free oil changes in the US anymore, unless you choose to buy the Audi Care package.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Only thing I can recommend is once you are pass free oil changes,

Audi does not include free oil changes in the US anymore, unless you choose to buy the Audi Care package.

By my opinion, even better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back