Engine rebuild durability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Man, I guess I am just getting too old.

We replace an occasional motor around here these days. But back in the old daze we did a lot of that sort of thing.

NO WAY any used junkyard motor is going into any car I actually like. It's too much work to be disappointed later when that tiny galled spot on the cam chews up a lifter, or that rust flake flies off and buggers up something.

Same amount of work nets me a nice rebuilt motor I can be confident will last longer than a new one...

I know where you coming from but unfortunately a lot of these new engines don't lend themselves to easy rebuilding.
Qualified and talented machinist are getting scarcer by the day, thats why we see so many crate engines now.

Old iron engines got better with age, the iron got better with time but a lot of this aluminum stuff cracks with time and use, some heads are just throw away items today.

Agreed.

Thankfully I have an excellent third gen fanatic machinist in the family!

Also, I own only one engine (in a car) with an aluminum block, every other one has an iron block. My experience with used engines has not been good, perhaps you guys have better sources...

From my understand, those import JDM engine are low miles because Japanese annual exam makes it expensive to own a 10+ year car. The last Integra made with that engine is 2001, so the engine is likely warehoused for 3 years by now despite 45k miles, if the seller didn't lie.

The lowish mile engine from local wreck is 90k from what I was told. In an Integra it is not a big deal as most of them last well into the 100k miles before having problem, but my guy told me he needs time to look for one, or run into one, so I'd imagine it is not sitting around for a while. 45k vs 90k is probably not a big difference if they are both 13-20 years.

Plus, the Japanese engine has a different compression than the local one (9.4 instead of 9.2), and if possible I prefer not to deal with emission difference, regulation, having to worry about octane of fuel, computer timing and fuel map or swapping ECU.

My main concern about rebuilding is if the machine shop missed a tiny crack or pitting somewhere, regardless of rebuilding my existing head or another junkyard head to start with. Many people have been boosting the stock bottom end to 8psi so I think my bottom end should be ok (except maybe a leaking oil pan gasket).

So far, most of the people I know are not aware of any head cracking issue on this engine family unless it was boosted and not tuned correctly, only warped head due to overheating.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spackard
I just don't like the Integra with an auto. If it was a manual I'd say rebuild it.

True, it is much more valuable as a manual but mine is a base model with cloth seat, and it is mainly the sentimental value, frugality (vs depreciation of new car when you don't drive much), and picking the devil you know, that makes me want to rebuild it and keep motoring.

I sure as heck won't buy another identical one if mine got T boned tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back