5 Million Gmail addresses and passwords leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/gmail-passwords-leaked,news-19503.html

Quote:
It's good news/bad news time. The bad news is that someone got his or her hands on nearly 5 million Gmail addresses and corresponding passwords and made them all public. The good news is that even if your Gmail address is on the list, the password may not be your Google password, and may also be too old to merit much concern.

This site claims they can verify whether your account has been compromised, presumably by checking if your email address was included in that leaked list:

http://securityalert.knowem.com/

Whether you want to give them your email address or not is up to you.

I don't believe this is a "new" password leak, just a re-release of what was leaked a few months back. Well that's what I recall reading anyways. lol

I highly recommend enabling tokens on your gmail, paypal, ebay etc free and extra piece of mind with 2 factor auth.

Yep, yesterday I got an email from google saying they blocked someone from signing into my email from a strange IP address in Seattle. I changed my password right away.

Thanks for the information.

I changed my password using Upper Case, lower case, numbers, a space, and a couple of symbols.

Am retired but back in my working days we were required to use a strong password and change it every two months.

Always a good idea to put your email address in your address book so you get notified if your account is hacked by someone.

FYI, the website 'security alert know em dot com' did not show my email address as on the list of hacked accounts from "the preliminary information"...however my account has been logged into from two unknown locations from a nearby state this week,

so i have changed password.

Last edited:
FYI, that tomsguide article has a link to several other places that claim to be able to verify if your account is at risk. Here is one:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

This one covers not only Gmail, but a number of other accounts (Yahoo, Adobe, Snapchat, etc... ) that are known to have leaked in the past. Again, exercise judgement.

Please add the part that most of the data is 2+ years and most likley 3+ years old...

3 years ago android wasnt much, the only useful phone was the original galaxy phone. Its irrelevant, everybody should change their password 2-3 times per year anyway.

I checked prox 50 emails, none of them were on there. It must have been from a NON-US source, i been using gmail since 2005ish when it was invite only. If my two emails i been using for almost a decade isnt on there, your fine.

Last edited:
Quote:
Please add the part that most of the data is 2+ years and most likley 3+ years old...

That's why I quoted the part of the artcile that I quoted. Sheesh...

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
If my two emails i been using for almost a decade isnt on there, your fine.

My wife's account is just about as old as yours, and it came up as compromised. She did not receive any warning from Google either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back