new to me honda civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I just got a 2001 honda civic, mint condition,5speed. Had new timing belt and water pump last month. 152,000 on it kinda scares me, never had a honda. Burns nor leaks any fluids, what would be a good oil choice for this.
I thank you for any info you may have.

any kind of 5W20 will do fine.

These 7th gen civic (1.7L, D17A1 or similar series engine) can take the beating and keeps on going.

Check all the struts for the factory KYB (USA made ones) are known to fail fairly early, esp. the rear ones (revised version came out around 2002 or 2003 for that gen civics).

Lastly: check and replace the front lower control arm if the front bushing is cracked or in questionable state. It is a very common problem on 7th gen civics and if they are bad, the car will not handle properly, makes clunking sounds as they go around corners or small bumps.

Enjoy.

Q.

Originally Posted By: mrjlube
Hi guys, I just got a 2001 honda civic, mint condition,5speed. Had new timing belt and water pump last month. 152,000 on it kinda scares me, never had a honda. Burns nor leaks any fluids, what would be a good oil choice for this.
I thank you for any info you may have.

Uncle has a 05 with 170k, doesn't do any maintenance really, cheapest possible oil and parts only and only if they are necessary, the car is still getting 33-34 combined mpg...

Engine doesn't burn any oil, any 0w20 or 5w20 will work just fine, you can easily extend OCI as well, factory recommended is 7500 on oil and 15000 on oil filter.

Use Mobil 1 extended performance with fram ultra for 15k OCI in my opinion.

One of the best oils you can get is the Toyota Genuine 0w20 from the Toyo dealerships, if you can find the time to pick it up. They will even sell it to you in your own container if you bring a 5 quart jug, or just the plain old quarts for more money.

If you don't want to do that i suggest Mobil 1 AFE 0w20, or Valvoline Synpower 0w20.

If you want to use conventional try Pennzoil Yellow bottle 5w20, but the synthetic 0w20 will make winter starts easier.

Don't worry about the mileage those cars go forever.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
One of the best oils you can get is the Toyota Genuine 0w20 from the Toyo dealerships, if you can find the time to pick it up.

I wish I had it near me, everyone around here goes to the dealership or quick lube places to change their oil, so toyota dealerships near me carry M1 0W20 only instead of TGMO!

I have a deal setup with a local Toyota Parts Manager who sells me OEM parts a lot of times cheaper then after market or 1-5% above his cost...

He said he would totally sell me TGMO for my asking price but he has to order that in bulb only!

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
One of the best oils you can get is the Toyota Genuine 0w20 from the Toyo dealerships, if you can find the time to pick it up.

I wish I had it near me, everyone around here goes to the dealership or quick lube places to change their oil, so toyota dealerships near me carry M1 0W20 only instead of TGMO!

I have a deal setup with a local Toyota Parts Manager who sells me OEM parts a lot of times cheaper then after market or 1-5% above his cost...

He said he would totally sell me TGMO for my asking price but he has to order that in bulb only!

Lol "bulk" only

Change the MTF with honda mtf, pennzoil synchromesh, or one of the boutique synthetic mtfs. I've been using pennzoil synchromesh in my 04 civic and it seems to work well.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Change the MTF with honda mtf, pennzoil synchromesh, or one of the boutique synthetic mtfs. I've been using pennzoil synchromesh in my 04 civic and it seems to work well.

+1

This transmission holds less than 2 quarts. I change it every 35-45K (2005 LX 130K miles) with quality synthetic. (I use Redline MTF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back