Oil for 2006 Acura TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm going to change the oil on my Acura for the first time today and was wondering what I should use. Spec oil for the car is 5w-20 so should I make it easy and just get M1 5w-20 or is there another oil I should try out for this application like Pennzoil ultra/platinum. Something readily available would be best. Not really looking to make a huge debate over it Im just not super familiar with lighter weight oils such as these.

You might get more applicable experiences if you post your car model, engine and driving conditions. You know, like the sticky suggests.
smile.gif

M1 and Pennzoil Platinum are highly liked here, and there are some adherents to just about every other brand. Go take a look at Acura's in the Used Oil Analysis sub-forum and look at real data and experiences.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
You might get more applicable experiences if you post your car model, engine and driving conditions. You know, like the sticky suggests.
smile.gif

M1 and Pennzoil Platinum are highly liked here, and there are some adherents to just about every other brand. Go take a look at Acura's in the Used Oil Analysis sub-forum and look at real data and experiences.

Model is in title
smile.gif
and engine is the 3.2 with pretty normal driving conditions 50/50 highway city driving.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Can't go wrong with M1 unless the car is high miles and is using/leaking oil.

Yeah that's what I kinda figured and nah it has 105k and doesn't burn or leak a drop. I'm guessing Pennzoil and M1 are almost identical in these weights.

Where are you located? If you're in an area with actual cold weather i.e. not California, you might benefit from running a 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Where are you located? If you're in an area with actual cold weather i.e. not California, you might benefit from running a 0W-20.

I live in Tennessee so it gets pretty cold in the winter months

I would argue that regardless of location, there is always a benefit for going with 0W20 over 5W20. Obviously less so in warmer climates, but still a benefit.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I would argue that regardless of location, there is always a benefit for going with 0W20 over 5W20. Obviously less so in warmer climates, but still a benefit.

This exactly is why I use 0w20 in my wife's Pilot. Very short trips.

Concerning the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum,I thought this was really strange. One of the Walmarts near me has the brand new Ultra Platinum 5W20 on clearance. There's no "regular" shelf space for it anywhere in the store. It's red-tagged on the jug istelf along with some really old Quaker State 20W50 on the clearance shelf. Why would a brand new oil be on clearance?

Hi ChattZX, your 2006 Acura originally calls for a semi-synthetic 5W-20 so we would recommend using our Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend 5W-20 motor oil. However, if you're interested in using a full synthetic motor oil, we recommend our Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with PurePlus Technology which also come in 5W-20 and deliver complete protection without compromise. - The Pennzoil Team

I use PPPP 5w30 in my 07 TLS (has the 3.5L motor but not much different from your 3.2).

All my honda/acura's use a variant of Pennzoil oils and have had no issues and are quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back