All synthetic dexos1 equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Silly chart shouldn't scare you. Conventional GF5 minimal requirements vs synth dexos isn't even a fair comparison.

I would have no problem using the full synthetic motormaster stuff.

Yeah seems to me that its a very good oil, I have read many reviews people put 400,000km - 500,000 km with this oil only, on many diffrent type of engines.

It also mention on the jug; EXCEED ALL SYNTHETIC BLENDS, dexos 1 is syn blend right?

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
dexos 1 is syn blend right?

Dexos1 does not specify whether an oil should be mineral, synthetic, or blend. Actually, none of the specs specify that. "Synthetic" is not a spec.

With that said, some of the specs can only be met by synthetic oil currently. But it does not mean that any synthetic will automatically meet a given spec.

Here is another table that outlines the differences between ILSAC GF-5 and Dexos:

dexos1_gf4_gf5.png

Do you have a tech spec sheet for this Motomaster oil?

In any case, if you're still under warranty, I'd stick with something that carries the official Dexos approval. Once out of warranty, feel free to experiment (within reason).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

In any case, if you're still under warranty, I'd stick with something that carries the official Dexos approval. Once out of warranty, feel free to experiment (within reason).

If dexos1 is a requirement, i completely agree.

I don't think there is one, at least not readily available. The best bet would be for someone to check a bottle and see if it has the old Vette spec, to at least be somewhat close. I doubt it lists anything like suitable for dexos1, or A1/B1 A5/B5.

Well, I went to walmart and found good old pennzoil platinum 5w30, 4.73L econo value, its listed on the dexos website, so now no doubt, I have very good stuff, for 24.99, its as good if not better than the formula 1.

I always liked PP, find my car get a slight better mpg, runs smooth as well, decent price too.
But can i got 10,000 km on PP?

Originally Posted By: Garak

I don't think there is one, at least not readily available. The best bet would be for someone to check a bottle and see if it has the old Vette spec, to at least be somewhat close. I doubt it lists anything like suitable for dexos1, or A1/B1 A5/B5.

Canadian Tire's website lists the mfg specs, but I was looking for NOACK value...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-formula-1-synthetic-motor-oil-5l-0288712p.html

I always liked PP, find my car get a slight better mpg, runs smooth as well, decent price too.

That shouldn't be a problem in the least, assuming you're note planning on only 1 km trips at a time all winter.
wink.gif
The taxis were doing that on Quaker State conventional in the 1980s. Of course, short tripping and cold oil was never a concern.

Quattro Pete: Well, from your link, it does have the old Vette spec and the Honda spec, so I'd wager that it would be a suitable dexos1 replacement if someone were looking for something suitable and didn't have anything with a dexos1 logo handy.

I had a cruze and usually used bulk 5w-30 synthetic blend and ran it 5-7,500K miles. I would not worry in your case one bit. Btw, my cruze had 0 engine problems at 39K miles, however the drivetrain was junk..

Source of the oil comparison diagram? It appears much different than those oils do on the Lubrizol diagrams, or am I missing something?

Well, I went to walmart and found good old pennzoil platinum 5w30, 4.73L econo value, its listed on the dexos website, so now no doubt, I have very good stuff, for 24.99, its as good if not better than the formula 1.

If it can/has gone 7500 miles without issue in my tuned 1.4T, it can do 6000 miles without breaking a sweat in your 1.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back