Top off oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one 5 qt container of Mobil1 left in my stash (it may be Truck & SUV formulation). It is too good of an oil to use in my 2 beaters. I've been happy with pennzoil Ultra in my 09 Town and Country. Usage has averaged 1qt/2k with the Ultra and 1qt/1k with regular Mobil 1. If I do decide to go with the Mobil 1 (wont change till just before Winter), what should I use for my topoff oil? I have PYB, TropArtic, and Napa synthetic to choose from.

Depends on how long until you change it. If you are changing it very soon then the least expensive for topoff would be good.

If change time was going to be winter then the synthetic Napa.

I wont change it till winter (which could be in a couple of weeks the way it has been going, LOL). But, if consumption continues to be a qt every 1000-2000 miles, i plan on doing 10k mile oci's.

Last edited:
Clarification, what oil should I use as a topoff oil once I do an oil change with the Mobil 1? The vehicle "uses" a quart every 1k to 2 k miles. The topoff oil would be added to the Mobil 1.

In truth, it doesn't matter. they're all compatible in grade and service, then all of the oils are compatible and will work. Mobil1 is not somehow magical and made of unicorn tears.

But if it makes you feel better, then you might use the theory that as long as the top-off oil's service time will make it to the end of the OCI, then use that oil. So say your PYB has a 5000mile (life). If you add that at 7500 until OCI then that's a no-no.

There are others in the camp that oil doesn't go bad, it's just the additives, so in oil-consuming cars, as long as you're replenishing additives then you're fine, you can go on forever without a change (just filters).

Finally, there are those that say why are you pinching pennies. Just put in the best all the time. You already made the decision to put mobil1 since you thought it's "better" and worth it's cost, what changes your mind about the "topoff" oil. Your same logic that mobil1 is better should still hold. And it's not like mobil1 is so expensive it will cause you to starve.

Pick any strategy you want. As long as YOU are good with your decision then it's fine.

Last edited:
With your high oil consumption, I'd switch to Maxlife and use your dino stash as top off oil. M1 is not top off oil, and I certainly wouldn't use it in an oil consuming beater.

Any one of those oils would work. With the high consumption, I'd go with whichever was cheapest.

Alternately, I'd look at what oils you have and decide which one you want to use at your winter oil change. Then pick from the other two to use a top up oil, so you have enough of the third oil to do an OCI with.

I have a 2006 3.8 Grand Caravan with some oil consumption issues as well. It uses about 1quart every 4,000 miles. I do a yearly OCI on synthetic and average more than 8,000 miles. However, this year I will probably go about 12,000 miles if not a little more. I have decided to switch to conventional because it just isn't worth the cost. You might one to think about switching as well. I still use synthetic in my 1999 Lexus because it doesn't use any oil though it averages around 8,000 in a yearly OCI.

The NAPA has a different add pack, so in theory pyb might be better. Recently iv found NA package oils seem to like a bit o moly from differing add pack 'ala Schaeffer' formulation - only as far as engine noise and fuel mileage goes.

Last edited:
Since you already have the M1 sitting around, and have had it for years, it's sort of like getting free oil change. But if it really is M1 Truck & SUV, maybe you can put it up on e-Bay and sell it to someone who thinks that was the best oil Mobil ever made, and sell it for $15/quart (plus shipping).

But I think your plan is good. Fill with the M1, then top off with the random oils you have: PYB, TropArctic, and NAPA, in that order. One Frankenblend in the life of an engine won't hurt if it's only for a couple of months.

Last edited:
The Mobil is Mobil 1 High Mileage full synthetic, not Mobil 1 Truck & SUV. My mistake. I will probably use it in my older Dodge Grand Caravan for a once-per-year OCI. With the lower mileage that I am doing with this vehicle now, I might even run it for two years

I like to match add packs for adds, so PYB or TropArtic would be my choice.
Probably doesn't matter, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back