PICS: '99 Miata valve train and valve cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got around to replacing the valve cover gasket on the Miata tonight. I used a Fel Pro gasket that I purchased locally. It looked identical in every way to the OEM one that came off. I used Permatex High-Temp Red silicone rtv on the corners of the camshaft caps, and I'll let it cure overnight before I drive it per the instructions.

I bought the car about 2 weeks ago, and it was obvious to me that the car was well taken care of. After seeing the valvetrain with just shy of 123k miles and an unknown (to me) OCI history, I'd say my assumptions about it being well cared for are correct. No sludge, just some varnish. I'll be using synthetic exclusively in this motor. The timing belt also looked good and had good tension on it. This is a non-interference motor, so I'm not all that worried any how. Pictures were taken with my Droid RAZR Maxx HD.

Now that the engine is finally broken in you can start driving it like it was intended to be driven, with your foot to the floor (lol).

Nice, my friend has a 99. Fun car to drive. I'd recommend Mobil 1 0w40. Excellent cleaning ability.

Originally Posted By: buster
Nice, my friend has a 99. Fun car to drive. I'd recommend Mobil 1 0w40. Excellent cleaning ability.

I'm going to use Mobil 1 5w30 when I change in the fall. But I did consider the 0w40, especially for track days... Now you have me thinking
confused.gif

I run M1 0W-40 in my '99 Miata. It's a track car. Lord only knows how many miles on the track it has. Tens of thousands in the last few years. These cars don't seem real picky, but I think this is a good choice, personally.

robert

where are the pictures of the car? were you the one considering a "slightly rusted" specimen? I need to follow your odyssey of Miata purchase!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
where are the pictures of the car? were you the one considering a "slightly rusted" specimen? I need to follow your odyssey of Miata purchase!

Yep, that was me! This one has small bubbling in 3 spots, but you have to look really hard to find them. The rest of the paint is so good, I'm not going to bother touching the bubbling for now. I can't replicate that finish with a rattle can. I'll post pics soon.

I did the cambelt on my daughters Laser Lynx (Mazda 323 Neo) on monday, it has the same engine as the MX5 (or Miata or Eunos Roadster). It looked about the same inside as that at 222,000km - and being New Zealand it gets a 15-40, and probably has all it's life.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Same to you!
smile.gif
How do you like the 0w40 in your Miata?

It’s an excellent oil imho. Too thick or too thin??
Don’t know and quite honestly, these engines tend to be strong as an anvil and almost entirely insensitive to what’s pumping from the sump.

Had the car only a year and put on ~2000 miles (101k total).
Done two changes in that span not knowing its previous OCI et cetera history.
Bought it from my niece when she shipped out to university so there’s plenty of deferred maintenance haha.

Still getting things squared away (as a hobby) but they’re a real kick in the tail.

Good intel at Miata.net btw:
http://www.miata.net/

96M.jpg

Last edited:
Miata engines don't seem to like really thin oils. Loss of oil pressure is common. I ended up with very high wear metals due to the use of M1 AFE 0W-20 (I think) in my Miata. The first clue was 7 pounds of oil pressure at idle and 30 on the highway.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Miata engines don't seem to like really thin oils. Loss of oil pressure is common. I ended up with very high wear metals due to the use of M1 AFE 0W-20 (I think) in my Miata. The first clue was 7 pounds of oil pressure at idle and 30 on the highway.

I've got 5w30 in it now. I may try M1 0w40 next year, we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back