Ticking noise on startup after oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: crainholio
Motorcraft FL-820S filters on our 3.0, always.

+1. If you bring a Ford into the dealer with a start-up noise complaint the first thing they will look at is the oil filter brand. If it isn't a Motorcraft they will assume that's the problem. Motorcrafts seem to be great filters and are available at WalMart at a reasonable price. Why not just use them?

If I decided to lose my manhood and took it to the dealership, of course that is what they would say. But as we all well know, those "technicians"
grin2.gif
are not the end all be all of mechanical aptitude. I think it is safe to say by this point we know the ticking noise is the vehicles response to the filter, the only question left is, will it stop or should it be changed?

I dont blame RP at all. Royal Purple and Fram Ultra, heck even the Pureones I have used on this vehicle are not even in the same weight class as Motorcraft filters. It just turns out that I am one of the lucky few who owns a picky vehicle I guess.

About to go start it. If its going to be replaced it better be done quick. Houston Texans start their super bowl run today
smirk.gif
. Lets see what happens!

Last edited:
So I went outside and started it after it had been sitting for 12 hours or so. It looks like it is going to continue to tick for 1-3 seconds, only on the first cold start of the day.

Is it ticking or dry start up noise? Majority of times it is the oil pump priming noise which is associated with thin oil or restricted filter. With new filter I doubt it is the filter unless defective. Have you had the car long enough to know it was not there with every oil change?

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
It's causing damage. You need to get the filter off there asap and replace it with a Tearolator.

Gimme a break. Damage. Please.

I wouldn't sweat it. Run out the interval and try a different filter next time. No point in throwing away good money.
I don't even bother with anything other than either the motomaster filters which are a rebadged tough guard or else an ultra.
I don't hear any funny or unusual ticks and cost is reasonable,especially the red can of life.
There is residual oil at start up regardless of whether the drain back valve is working or not,and let's get real here. We are talking about split seconds at start up here,which is a non issue in my mind.
Put a can of mos2 in the oil if your really concerned.

Originally Posted By: CaspianM
Is it ticking or dry start up noise? Majority of times it is the oil pump priming noise which is associated with thin oil or restricted filter. With new filter I doubt it is the filter unless defective. Have you had the car long enough to know it was not there with every oil change?

It is now just ticking for a split second on the first start up of the day, then goes away until the next morning, and the noise is becoming less and less noticeable. And yes, I am 100% sure it is just the new filter causing the issue. Brand new vehicle and the only thing that has changed this time is the brand of filter. Thanks to everyone for the responses!

Last edited:
If your now only getting some ticking for a second or two on 1st start up, then sounds okay afterwards, I'd leave it for a normal OCI unless you just want to change it for piece of mind.
If it gets worse, then consider the filter

Originally Posted By: Errtt
If your now only getting some ticking for a second or two on 1st start up, then sounds okay afterwards, I'd leave it for a normal OCI unless you just want to change it for piece of mind.
If it gets worse, then consider the filter

That is pretty much the plan now. But if I pull it, I will cut it open and make sure to put it up here.

UPDATE: I wrote an email to Royal Purple about the issues I encountered after using their filter, and they responded within hours. They want me to send the filter in for evaluation, and will replace it promptly. They assured me that this never happens with their filters and so on and so forth, but have been very helpful so far.

I changed the filter out this afternoon with a Purolator Synthetic PSL22500. And...no start up noise. Everything is back to normal. I will be reporting this in my response to Purolator tonight.

And here is the most interesting part, I believe that the ticking sound was the result of a faulty ADBV. When I turned the RP filter upside down, oil flowed right past it. As a matter of fact, the filter almost seemed to completely drain itself of all stored oil withing SECONDS of turning it upside down.
shocked2.gif
I will be including this information also.

For now, I will be sticking with Purolator and Fram Ultras.

I also asked if they would replace the quart of 5-20 I used to top off the motor with the filter change. Maybe I will get lucky and they will throw in some decals too
grin.gif
But seriously, their technical support representative has been very helpful so far!

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I also asked if they would replace the quart of 5-20 I used to top off the motor with the filter change. Maybe I will get lucky and they will throw in some decals too
grin.gif
But seriously, their technical support representative has been very helpful so far!

Very cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back