HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading this forum for auto oil and filters for 3 months or so. The more I read the more confused I get. I am basically a gearhead nuts and bolts guy. Its pretty obvious some members have a advanced education regarding chemistry and oil technical specifications which are way over my head. I see the occasional new member ask what's the best oil and filter and get the stock answer that it depends on you driving habits and environment. While I understand these conditions are extremely reverent it really is useless answer since the category of products are not broken out into driving patterns or environment. After reading this forum for months I know Fram is not good. Purolator while it use to be good now have tears in the medium. But I still have know clue what to buy. It seen the flavor of the month changes over time.
Maybe the forums should be broken out by short trip, long trip, mixed and change interval 3k , 5k, ect? I don't expect this to take place therefore I would appreciated the following.
I have a 199 Grand Prix 3.8 162,000 miles and a 2001 Monti Carlo ss 3.8 with 31,000 miles. I want both cars to last as long as possible so what oil and filter would be the best. Both cars are used for short trips 13 miles to 26 miles. I don't car about cost and both cars use the same filter. Also I would prefer to use the same oil in both since its easier to buy. How ever if a deferent oil is recommended for the higher mileage car because of a big performance difference so bid. Right now both cars are driven in Florida.

For starters, you are wrong about Fram. Fram is awesome and no filter can touch the Ultra for price to performance. 99%+ efficiency at 20 microns and 80% @ 5 microns, rated 15,000 miles between changes all for under $9 at box stores. Just try to find anyone's publishes numbers that beat that.. you can't.

Second your 3.8 engines are pretty easy on oil, just get any name brand API SN 5w30 conventional and change your oil and filter every 5,000 miles. I would recommend a Fram Tough guard for that engine, i use them myself on my 3.1 Buick.

I did a UOA on my 3.1 after 5,700 miles and tons of idling time i was almost out of TBN on Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. I am sure your 3,8 handles oil similarly, so if you have lots of idle time, keep synthetics under 7,500 miles, or 10k for lots of highway time.

Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE
I have a 199 Grand Prix 3.8 162,000 miles and a 2001 Monti Carlo ss 3.8 with 31,000 miles. I want both cars to last as long as possible so what oil and filter would be the best?

The correct answer to your question is SuperTech 10W-30 Full Synthetic and a NAPA Platinum PFL41040 filter every 3000 miles or 6 months. How do I know this? Because I own a 2000 Buick LeSabre with the 3.8 and nobody knows more about 3800 engines than I do.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE
I have been reading this forum for auto oil and filters for 3 months or so. The more I read the more confused I get. I am basically a gearhead nuts and bolts guy. Its pretty obvious some members have a advanced education regarding chemistry and oil technical specifications which are way over my head. I see the occasional new member ask what's the best oil and filter and get the stock answer that it depends on you driving habits and environment. While I understand these conditions are extremely reverent it really is useless answer since the category of products are not broken out into driving patterns or environment. After reading this forum for months I know Fram is not good. Purolator while it use to be good now have tears in the medium. But I still have know clue what to buy. It seen the flavor of the month changes over time.
Maybe the forums should be broken out by short trip, long trip, mixed and change interval 3k , 5k, ect? I don't expect this to take place therefore I would appreciated the following.
I have a 199 Grand Prix 3.8 162,000 miles and a 2001 Monti Carlo ss 3.8 with 31,000 miles. I want both cars to last as long as possible so what oil and filter would be the best. Both cars are used for short trips 13 miles to 26 miles. I don't car about cost and both cars use the same filter. Also I would prefer to use the same oil in both since its easier to buy. How ever if a deferent oil is recommended for the higher mileage car because of a big performance difference so bid. Right now both cars are driven in Florida.

-Unless your talking about the Fram Ultra, you are right. Junky construction. My
49.gif

-Purolator is still a good manufacturer, yes some are developing minor tears in a pleat or two, but there is still a lot of discussion as to whether this is due to manufacturing or the amount of time and miles people are keeping them in use.

-As for oil, find something that is readily available at Wal-Mart and is relatively affordable. Why walmart? Because they are the absolute cheapest place to buy oil and they have locations everywhere. For the Grand Prix I would go with any conventional dino oil on sale and change it every 3k miles. At the moment, you can pick up 5 quarts of Mobil 5000 at walmart for $12 a jug. Thats a steal of a deal and would serve your needs just fine. As for the Monte Carlo, just stick with Mobil 1 and 5k mile oil changes. It is hard to beat the value and performance of Mobil 1 oil.

-As for filters, go with whatever you decide you want to try or that already works for you. There are many here with good advice, some of which is based on science, others of which are based on real world experience. I wouldn't discredit either, but I would take both with a grain of salt.

Good luck!

ZOMBIE YOU DON'T NEED HELP. Run 10w-30 oil and WIX/NAPA Platinum or Fram Extended Guard or MOBIL 1 filter. Economy filters don't trap small particles. Change the oil on schedule and both cars will last as long as possible.

Any 10w30 brand name conventional oil and an AC delco oem filter as they cost the same if not cheaper than other quality filters plus it's made for your GM. OCI at 5k.

For filters I'd use Fram Ultra, Wix/NAPA Gold, or Purolator PureOnes after they fix the media tear issue.

For oil, any brand name oil will do (Pennzoil, Valvoline, Havoline, Kendall, Mobil, etc). It's up to you to decide if you want to go conventional, synthetic, or high mileage, and what OCI you want to do.

If money was no option, and I didn't mind having to order my oil through the mail, I'd go with Amsoil. If money was an option, I'd go buy two jugs of PP and use the $10 rebate, and then look for good deals for my next oil change while using the PP.

If your objective is to make your car last then don't worry so much about the oil and filter, make sure you are up on the maintenance on transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid and it's worth changing out power steering fluid.

Approved oils and oem or compatible filters are almost always going to give you similar results. Your "short trips" of 13 to 26 miles in Florida are long enough to get the oil up to temperature so your oil should last anywhere between 5000 and 10000 miles, it just depends on how stop and start those short trips are and how much idling there is. You may want to invest in a UOA to establish an oil change interval and to make sure everything is in order with your engine. Several oils could be right for you. Since you say you want the best, your higher mileage vehicle might benefit from a high mileage oil. In which case Mobil 1 High Mileage or Valvoline Full Synthetic MaxLife would fit the bill. If there's some cleaning to do then Pennzoil Ultra might be a good idea as it is supposed to clean more than other leading synthetics.

Your oil filter choice could depend on your engine condition and oil change interval. Something like the Fram Ultra is helpful if you are planning to go to 15,000 mile intervals or even 2 x 7500 mile intervals or 3 x 5000 mile intervals where you don't want to go through the process of changing the filter each time. The synthetic media will resist the effect of time better than traditional media so you can more confidently use such a filter beyond a year. If your engine is dirty, the Fram Ultra's increased dirt holding capacity could be useful. But if you opt for shorter oil changes and want to change the filter out every time, maybe as part of a desire to clean the engine, then Purolator Pure One's have the best efficiency ratings on paper. If you're put off by the Purolator issues, then Fram Toughguards are a similar price option, with a 10,000 mile rating and only a little less efficiency.

Id worry about the rest of the vehicle.
Transmission failure, coolant condition, brake fluid, psf,....

Any full synthetic 0w30,5w30, 10w30, or 0w40 changed at least once a year or 7500 miles whichever comes first should keep it running forever. Check oil level weekly and top off as needed.
You don't need a fancy oil filter. The entry level brands, store brands,... will work just fine, including the orange, and the white cans.

No need to over think this. Use what weight is on the oil caps. In your case it will be 5w30 or 10w30...maybe each. If so and you want to run 10w30 in both, that will be fine too.

As far as filters go... any one will get the job done, especially with 5000 mi (or less) OCI.

Here is my $.02

If you run a dino oil, go with PYB and change at 5K.
If you run a syn oil, use PP and change at 7.5K to 8K.
5W-30 or 10W-30...either way I don't think you will make a bad choice.
Both of the above listed brands of oil are readily available at Wal-Mart and they are always priced well.

As to filters, I like NAPA Gold or Platinum or the Fram Ultra. Check out the oil filter section of the forums. Many positive things written about the Fram Ultra. I just installed one on the van based on the positive comments from forum members. Also available from Wal-Mart for a reasonable price.

If you don't mind spending a little extra money on oil, try Amsoil Signature Series. Use either a Fram or Amsoil Ea filter.

No matter what, have a UOA done on your oils. Until I became a member of BITOG I thought UOA were for class 8 trucks. Not so....at all. Once you get the results, post them in the UOA section and let the guys who know tell you what the report states. UOA.....a wise use of your money.

Hi ZOMBIE, both the cars you mention call for 5W-30 motor oil, so our Pennzoil Conventional 5W-30 is an option, our Pennzoil Gold (Semi-Synthetic) 5W-30 is an option, and even our Pennzoil Platinum with PurePlus Technology 5W-30 (Full Synthetic) is a great option. However, you have described the driving habits for these cars as being “short routes” at best – this might indicate that water and/or some of the bad combustion by-products in your engine(s) are not really given a chance to “burn off” during your short trips. Remember, the “burn-off” happens when a car’s engine is allowed to get up to temperature for a certain amount of time, etc. So, with that said, you might want to consider shortening your oil change interval, and go with the conventional 5W3-0 product (as you may not be able to enjoy the full benefits of using a semi or full synthetic motor oil product). Hope some of this information is helpful! - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: sicko
For filters I'd use Fram Ultra, Wix/NAPA Gold, or Purolator PureOnes after they fix the media tear issue.

For oil, any brand name oil will do (Pennzoil, Valvoline, Havoline, Kendall, Mobil, etc). It's up to you to decide if you want to go conventional, synthetic, or high mileage, and what OCI you want to do.

If money was no option, and I didn't mind having to order my oil through the mail, I'd go with Amsoil. If money was an option, I'd go buy two jugs of PP and use the $10 rebate, and then look for good deals for my next oil change while using the PP.

^ Sound advice. I just picked up 2 jugs of PP at Walmart for $48 OTD. I am getting $10 rebate x 2 =$20. Also, You can get $1 off per gallon of gas up to 20 gallons with those 2 jugs. So total cost for 2 jugs is $8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back