Dirty Dipping Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I live in a 1930s home that was renovated on the cheap by a landlady that doesn't understand why doing things right the first time is cheaper. SO the circuit for my bedroom is shared with the basement's monster sized standalone dehumidifier and garage door opener (I don't pay electricity). Every time it kicks on my lamp flickers. Wasn't a problem with incandescent bulb except the very short life. Now with my lamp with a Cree 100w equiv LED bulb plugged into a dawn simulator (I'm a heavy sleeper) I get flickers and single strobes from time to time that are driving me nuts.

Had a used TrippLite LC1200 (unknown condition) and it would happily click away until one day my brother laser printer made it angry. The printer is plugged into an APC UPS across the room and the LC1200 buzzed so loud it was worrisome (as if I had gotten a question wrong on a game show). It's now in the trash.

So knowing I definitely have power dips, should I just get a cheap UPS and know the battery will be used regularly and have a markedly shorter life? Or invest more in a model with Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR)? I'm leaning towards the latter since my morning light is timed and it would be nice to not have to reset the clock as often. What's the lest expensive AVR UPS out there?

A cheap UPS will likely entail clicking and beeps when power dips.

My recommendation is go back to incandescent bulb(specifically a long life one).

Originally Posted By: rjundi
A cheap UPS will likely entail clicking and beeps when power dips.

My recommendation is go back to incandescent bulb(specifically a long life one).

Beeps can be disabled, clicks are not an issue (already living with that, clicks are better than flashes).

The cyberpower model looks to be pretty good, might get 2, replace my old APC and semi-donate the old one to the parents house for their router since FIOS works during outages.

I wish there were smaller options like an AVR with a tiny Li-Ion battery made to be used frequently but for a short time only.

If this is for fixing a light bulb you remember the old joke:

How many XXXXXX does it take to change a light bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back