KOHLER vs. Briggs and Stratton

Status
Not open for further replies.
500 hrs is the best they expect? Granted I never operate more than a few hours at a time usually just a half hour but I could see being pretty [censored] off if I killed my 300 dollar mower in a few years...

But, have you figured that out mathematically ? 1/2 hr per time, times 50 times a year, = 25 hrs. per year, = 20 years average life, and I am sure much more if properly cared for. My rider with a 6 -Yes 6- h. p. tecumseh engine is almost 45 years old, and for 30 of those years it mowed an acre, and never got better than yearly serviced.

Originally Posted By: oilotaku
500 hrs is the best they expect? Granted I never operate more than a few hours at a time usually just a half hour but I could see being pretty [censored] off if I killed my 300 dollar mower in a few years...

EPA is not estimating expected total life, but rather expected median life. They do this for non-road engine emissions modeling. More here:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/models/nonrdmdl/p02014.pdf

Originally Posted By: punisher
Originally Posted By: JTK

They sure are getting harder to tell these days. The Kohler Courage XT-7 is indeed a Kohler product.........

Well a Kohler engine made in China by Kohler-Yinxiang, so technically it is a Kohler.

Just like my 1973 240z with factory air. Made by the Factory Air Corporation!

I would take the Briggs any day of the week over the Kohler XT series. I have both. You will see by my post the problems I'm having with mine.

New carb, new auto choke, plug, air filer, oil change. No change. Took it to shop and they finally gave up on it and said this problem is why they don't like to work on Kohler XT engines.

Engine is 3.5 years old only about 30 hours on it. Always used Super Unleaded from Shell or Chevron, drained each year along with a tune up every year.

Instead I'm using an 8 year old Gravely home series with an old Flathead Briggs and starts on the first pull everytime and runs great...

So get what you want but I'm just telling you my experience. I thought because it was a Kohler it would be good but I was wrong.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3394310/2

I have weld repaired two Kohler cracked blocks. Both in the same area. These were not on push mowers, but riders. Also this may be a problem with that particular engine and no others.

We mow acreage every single year, we use a Ford/New Holland for the most part, but our riding mowers see 5-7 acres every week.

We have owned 3 Murrays with the 14.5hp briggs single cylinder. We own a Huskee (Tractor Supply) with a 15hp Briggs, and a Snapper with a 20hp Vanguard twin.

To sum things up, Briggs has always felt like a middle of the road engine. Ours need the valve lashed every couple years, carburetors need cleaned generally every 4 years. The solenoids on the carburetors bowls have failed a couple times (we just cut and remove), and two started smoking (lightly) after 5 years.

Here at the house every push mower has a briggs. We got 6 years from one before it became a major oil burner, and we have a couple going on 4 years. Just middle of the road, decent engines.

Now Kohler, our personal garden tractors 79 John Deere (12hp kohler) and 78 International (17hp Kohler) run Kohlers. They have been used their entire life and just need a tuneup every so often (points, carb clean, plugs).

Then we have a John Deere 94' model with a 15hp briggs we used for 14 years mowing the acreage with the briggs mowers listed above. Hydraulic lifters (no adjusting), never had carb off, and starts every time just touching the key. Has been retired to a friends house where it mows 1/2 acre every week.

From my experience Kohler makes one fine engine and never gave us a headache.
Briggs is fine, but don't expect to hand it down to your grandchildren if its worked for a living. That's my 2 cents.

My grandparents own a 30 year old Murray (pushmower) with a Tecumseh. Starts first pull, looks like [censored] but runs like new. Maybe had oil/air filter changed a couple times in its life. Haha

We always change our pushmower oil every season, clean as a whistle today when I checked. Our hard working riders get changed twice a year, usually Castrol GTX 10w-40.

So really, you don't know what your going to get or how long it will last. Just take care of whichever you own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back