coolant loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that the coolant level in my overflow tank has dropped a little on the Accord in my Sig. Not 100% sure it has, but I don't remember it looking as low as it does, it's still in between the high and low marks though. Is a little drop normal? I am planning on UOA on the oil once I change it at 125K. About 600 miles to go (another month or so).

Sorta. Coolant level is temp dependent. I swear the overflow bottle on my Jetta can range from min in the dead of winter to max in dead of summer. Cold engine in either case, and wih no added fluid over the coarse of a year.

I have some fear that my Camry might be using fluid, topped it off I think a year ago and yesterday it seemed possibly lower than it ought to be. Seems like a perfect use for the smartphone, snap a photo once in a while.

Not sure how much can evaporate out. My Jetta has a really tight top, maybe my Toyotas do slowly evaporate some off. It is afterall keeping th coolant near the boiling point.

The overflow tank is open to the atmosphere(has to be) and some coolant (the water component) is lost to the atmosphere. Over time, this loss will show up as a low level in the overflow tank. Top the tank off and observe level for a few months.

Ok thanks guys. I am still planning on doing a UOA so Ill share that with you if I end up getting one. Oil is Honda Genuine Synthetic Blend, as far as I know this will be the first 0w20 blend UOA of the Honda Genuine on the internet. Ive found the 5w20, it shouldn't be much different. Its the CP made product. Will have around 3500 miles on it. I am changing at 125K so moving forward ill be able to do 5K change intervals (If I can restrain myself from changing early) I do short trips so it takes a LONG time to rack up the miles.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
It appears that the coolant level in my overflow tank has dropped a little on the Accord in my Sig. Not 100% sure it has, but I don't remember it looking as low as it does, it's still in between the high and low marks though. Is a little drop normal? I am planning on UOA on the oil once I change it at 125K. About 600 miles to go (another month or so).

There is no relationship between oil and the water level in the h2o overflow reservoir....so why you've mentioned that isn't clear....

You don't say how much a drop you've seen in water level other than "a little drop"...How much is a "little"....an inch, a half an inch....? You can expect as much as an inch drop in the dead of summer, especially one as hot as this has been...

BTW...when adding water to the overflow tank, USE ONLY DISTILLED WATER.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

There is no relationship between oil and the water level in the h2o overflow reservoir....so why you've mentioned that isn't clear....

You don't say how much a drop you've seen in water level other than "a little drop"...How much is a "little"....an inch, a half an inch....? You can expect as much as an inch drop in the dead of summer, especially one as hot as this has been...

I was going to do a UOA to detect if there was any coolant getting into the oil. I would say about an inch. It just looks lower than I remember. I had the cooling system drained and filled at the dealer 2 years or so ago.

I was going to do a UOA to detect if there was any coolant getting into the oil. I would say about an inch. It just looks lower than I remember. I had the cooling system drained and filled at the dealer 2 years or so ago.

During the service life of the coolant the water is boiled out. Every year I have to add 1-2qt's of water to my vehicles due to the water being 'cooked" out from the summer time heat. Example, I changed the coolant in my durmax. When I refiled and bleed the system out the ratio was 50/50. About 1 1/2 years later (30k miles) I was 2qts low on coolant. When I checked the ratio it was off a bit..over %60 dexcool. I added the water and that brought the ratio back down to what I had it set to.

Even some owners manuals say adding water up to 4 times a year is acceptable.

So if all you are low is "an inch or so" I would get a hydrometer for antifreeze and add distilled water to bring the mixture back in line. Keep in mind that after you adds distilled water the recovery bottle's mixture will be off till the system has went through several heat and cool cycles. While they az purchased one's are not exactly accurate they will get you in the ball park on the mixture percentage's.

Originally Posted By: simplistic

During the service life of the coolant the water is boiled out. Every year I have to add 1-2qt's of water to my vehicles due to the water being 'cooked" out from the summer time heat. Example, I changed the coolant in my durmax. When I refiled and bleed the system out the ratio was 50/50. About 1 1/2 years later (30k miles) I was 2qts low on coolant. When I checked the ratio it was off a bit..over %60 dexcool. I added the water and that brought the ratio back down to what I had it set to.

Even some owners manuals say adding water up to 4 times a year is acceptable.

So if all you are low is "an inch or so" I would get a hydrometer for antifreeze and add distilled water to bring the mixture back in line. Keep in mind that after you adds distilled water the recovery bottle's mixture will be off till the system has went through several heat and cool cycles. While they az purchased one's are not exactly accurate they will get you in the ball park on the mixture percentage's.

Keep in mind I am talking about the overflow tank, not the radiator. Does that make a difference?

Oh my God! Did your anti-freeze level dropped by 1/16 inch or more? You need to buy new car!

Leaving aside your OCD, I have had many cars where the level in the tank always ended up somewhere in the middle even though I kept on adding up to full mark. Eventually I used magic marker and marked the actual level and refrained myself from adding any more coolant and started only watching the level. Surprisingly, level stayed right on the line for the entire season.

Morale of the story:- you worry too much about every small thing on your car. You need to learn how to walk away from this little non-issues.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Oh my God! Did your anti-freeze level dropped by 1/16 inch or more? You need to buy new car!

Leaving aside your OCD, I have had many cars where the level in the tank always ended up somewhere in the middle even though I kept on adding up to full mark. Eventually I used magic marker and marked the actual level and refrained myself from adding any more coolant and started only watching the level. Surprisingly, level stayed right on the line for the entire season.

Morale of the story:- you worry too much about every small thing on your car. You need to learn how to walk away from this little non-issues.

Take it easy man, I had no idea the coolant level in the overflow could fluctuate. That's what I came on here, and posted my question. I'll still do the UOA if for nothings else, to see how the HGSB 0w20 looks since there is not much info on it. Have a good day.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Take it easy man, I had no idea the coolant level in the overflow could fluctuate. That's what I came on here, and posted my question. I'll still do the UOA if for nothings else, to see how the HGSB 0w20 looks since there is not much info on it. Have a good day.

As the engine heats up the coolant expands, like all materials. The coolant moves to the recovery bottle and upon cool down the reverse happens. That's why I said it would take several heating and cooling cycles for the added water to mix with the coolant mixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back