MMO vs Rislone Concentrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used both in my car (4qt sump, replace 1qt with either) both purchased at wally world, same filter same oil.

MMO-1923, $5, great smell, and apparently coats your engine with a layer of protection, MSDS can be found on the Turtle Wax website.

Rislone Engine Treatment Concentrate-1921, $5, same application but DO NOT PUT IN FUEL, MSDS can be found on Rislone website for the product number 4102.

I'm in the process of the same engine treatment. Current fill is (4) quarts of Mobile Delvac 15W40 and (1) quart of MMO. I've added just a few ounces of make-up oil. This is in a 2011 Chevrolet Express 1500, 4.3 liter, V6 that calls for 5W30. While the miles on this OCI is low, so far, oil pressure has been fine.

I have a bottle of Rislone that will be in the next OCI. After that OCI, this 4.3 should be good to go.

Flash Points

Rislone 388°F
STP Multipurpose (Flush) 165°F
MMO 128°F
Seafoam 55°F

of course when blended with motor oil...

Looks obvious the rislone isn't going to evaporate off in a couple hundred as the others probably will.
As I've said b4 on here I bought a sebring convertible for cheap because oil light would come on often at highway speed, I used the rislone with maxlife and PU with short changes.
Light stopped coming on and car ran good etc. Unfortunately I totaled it in the winter, nice thing was insurance gave me twice what I paid because I got it on the cheap.

I have used both products in vehicles of all makes and year models. I used to swear by Riselone, but that was before the concentrate.

These days I just use MMO, and avoid the Riselone all together. I run the MMO as directed. Meaning: 20% in crankcase and 4 ounces per 10 gallons in the fuel tank. It seems to be working well, has smoothed out rough idles, appears to have helped increase fuel economy, keeps upper end of the motor well lubricated, pretty much everything they claim it does. And take what you read on here with a grain of salt. A little may evaporate, but I have never noticed any evaporation to speak of in my applications. 6 quarts out -> 6 quarts in type situation here.

I may not have a lab or concrete evidence, but FWIW I can tell you that I am very picky about my vehicles, and I use Marvel with confidence. Also, go to WalMart. They sell it in gallon jugs for about $18 or so.

Last edited:
MMO doesn't coat your engine with anything.

MMO Analysis

Quote:
Here is a stair step description of what would evaporate from first to last:

Chlorinated Hydrocarbons of orthodichlorobenzenes >> Mineral Spirits (deodorized Kerosene) >> Naphthenic Hydrocarbons

The "flashpoint" of a volatile material is the lowest temperature at which it can vaporize to form an ignitable mixture in air.

When people on BITOG speak of "flahing off" they are not using the scientific definition. What they usually mean is the lighter hydrocarbons will evaporate as the oil temperature increases.

See Tom in NJ comments about oil thinning:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...l_?#Post3477350

For engine cleaning, I prefer an oil with ester cleaners verses one with volatile hydrocarbons.

For fuel system cleaning, I prefer a cleaner containing PEA esters such as Redline PI or Techron.

Last edited:
Reactions: a5m
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
MMO doesn't coat your engine with anything.

MMO Analysis

Quote:
Here is a stair step description of what would evaporate from first to last:

Chlorinated Hydrocarbons of orthodichlorobenzenes >> Mineral Spirits (deodorized Kerosene) >> Naphthenic Hydrocarbons

The "flashpoint" of a volatile material is the lowest temperature at which it can vaporize to form an ignitable mixture in air.

When people on BITOG speak of "flahing off" they are not using the scientific definition. What they usually mean is the lighter hydrocarbons will evaporate as the oil temperature increases.

See Tom in NJ comments about oil thinning:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...l_?#Post3477350

For engine cleaning, I prefer an oil with ester cleaners verses one with volatile hydrocarbons.

For fuel system cleaning, I prefer a cleaner containing PEA esters such as Redline PI or Techron.

Molekule

You are a very valuable asset to this community. I thank you for sharing your vast knowledge with guys like me whom aren't very well informed.
I'm going to take your advice as far as cleaning with esters is concerned.
Liqui-moly motor oil saver is made from a di-ester iirc which is what conditions seals and slows/stops them from leaking.
At 8 bucks a can its cheaper than mmo or any other solvent type cleaning product and based on what I've learned from you using an ester to clean is a much better way to go about cleaning an engine.
Thanks again Molekule.

Rislone is clearly better because it is blue. /sarcasm

Now back to seriousness, I have had results with Rislone before as far as freeing up stuck lifters. I have never had luck with MMO doing anything but I haven't tested it on stuck lifters. I think Rislone is a more sophisticated product and have no qualms spending money on it.

I just did an oil change and added a quart of Rislone; the car is a 94 Corolla with oil control ring deposit issues that lead to consumption. Will report back after a few hundred miles. During the previous interval, I added 4 ounces of Gumout Multi Vehicle to the oil and that helped lower consumption noticeably.

I'd like to know how Rislone is ester based given the fact that the MSDS lists it's ingredients as hydrotreated petroleum distillates???

Quote:
I'd like to know how Rislone is ester based given the fact that the MSDS lists it's ingredients as hydrotreated petroleum distillates???

The MSDS does not give the total formulation as the MSDS only gives inhalaton and toxicology info for health risks.

The FTIR showed TMP esters.

Last edited:
Reactions: a5m
Quote:
Liqui-moly motor oil saver is made from a di-ester iirc which is what conditions seals and slows/stops them from leaking.

How did you determine Liqui-moly motor oil saver had di-esters?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

The MSDS does not give the total formulation as the MSDS only gives inhalaton and toxicology info for health risks.

The FTIR showed TMP esters.

Thanks Molakule.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I just did an oil change and added a quart of Rislone; the car is a 94 Corolla with oil control ring deposit issues that lead to consumption

Which formulation. I think there are a couple other varieties. I would only use the regular Rislone Engine Treatmnt Concentrate and avoid the Ring Seal product.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I just did an oil change and added a quart of Rislone; the car is a 94 Corolla with oil control ring deposit issues that lead to consumption

Which formulation. I think there are a couple other varieties. I would only use the regular Rislone Engine Treatmnt Concentrate and avoid the Ring Seal product.

Yes, please identify the exact product as many additive manufacturers make many flavors and some of these flavors can have different formulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back