Changes in engine noise throughout OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

Hopefully I'm not going insane, I've noticed that towards the end of my OCI my engine gets louder under load. It sounds about the same at idle but when I'm get on the throttle the engine sounds rougher/more mechanical than they did during the beginning of the OCI.

Has anyone else experienced this?

-Thanks

I was just thinking the same thing this morning when pulling out of my neighborhood...

My ECHO does the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It does happen, especially if the oil thins out.

I think that's what happened to me, just sent out the sample to Blackstone (PUE 5W-40), I went the maximum 5K allowed by the manual. I've been doing a lot of bumper to bumper driving recently, I think fuel might diluted the oil somewhat.

The oil was pitch black coming out but it flowed well. When I wiped the container I could see the oil wasn't completely black. I can't wait to get the results, although I'm worried they might not be good.

Hyundai pretty much discontinued this engine, the new Sonata now has a smaller turbo that makes less power, they no longer offer the engine found in my car on the Santa Fe and Genesis coupe. Recently I've also seen a few of engine failure posts on the Sonata turbo forms. Who knows how these owners took care of their cars, I think some people don't follow the OM and do extended drains. I recall one member trying 15K OCIs...

I believe this engine is still being produced--note my new Santa Fe in my signature. . . .

Originally Posted By: Swift101

I think that's what happened to me, just sent out the sample to Blackstone (PUE 5W-40), I went the maximum 5K allowed by the manual. I've been doing a lot of bumper to bumper driving recently, I think fuel might diluted the oil somewhat.

The oil was pitch black coming out but it flowed well. When I wiped the container I could see the oil wasn't completely black. I can't wait to get the results, although I'm worried they might not be good.

Hyundai pretty much discontinued this engine, the new Sonata now has a smaller turbo that makes less power, they no longer offer the engine found in my car on the Santa Fe and Genesis coupe. Recently I've also seen a few of engine failure posts on the Sonata turbo forms. Who knows how these owners took care of their cars, I think some people don't follow the OM and do extended drains. I recall one member trying 15K OCIs...

You'll be fine. The engine was discontinued in the Genesis Coupe (Santa Fe Sport will remain unchanged) because they want to make it more 'upscale', according to The Korean Car Blog. All forums will bring out the 'worse case scenarios' as well. The oil color doesnt bother me at all anymore. I change out at 4K miles and have never smelled fuel. I even used a dexos synthetic blend once, and after 3500 miles, no fuel smell. I have seen enough UOAs where wear numbers have been fine with some dilution involved. Now, 15k miles is just asking for trouble.

Last edited:

+1

Originally Posted By: Robster
I believe this engine is still being produced--note my new Santa Fe in my signature. . . .

My mistake I didn't realize they split up the product like that.

Originally Posted By: wemay
http://thekoreancarblog.com/2014/05/21/h...-genesis-coupe/

That's interesting, I wonder why they didn't just keep it and improve on the current design. From what I saw the new Sonata turbo is much slower(1.9 seconds slower to 60) than the previous generation. It makes something like 245 horsepower vs the old cars 274.

I think Hyundai might be chasing better fuel economy numbers at this point, who knows.
The funny thing is though, the new model gets worse highway fuel economy compared to the 2011-2013 models... Sorry for the rant.

Originally Posted By: wemay
http://thekoreancarblog.com/2014/05/21/h...-genesis-coupe/

That's interesting, I wonder why they didn't just keep it and improve on the current design. From what I saw the new Sonata turbo is much slower(1.9 seconds slower to 60) than the previous generation. It makes something like 245 horsepower vs the old cars 274.

I think Hyundai might be chasing better fuel economy numbers at this point, who knows.
The funny thing is though, the new model gets worse highway fuel economy compared to the 2011-2013 models... Sorry for the rant.

Also scratched my head. They advise in the article(s) that they were after better low end torque vs upper rev power.
21.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back