Car and Drivers 2014 Corvette grenaded engine....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must have been a Purolater made filter.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Probably was a Fram :))

honestly the brand is probably ac/delco

but they don't manufacturer oil filters?

so who built it.

This seems to be a good case for dealer oil changes.

Imagine if you were the BITOGer using the fancy aftermarket filter with the best Synthetic and this happened. I doubt Chevy warranty nor oil filter maker would own up to it without a lawyer involved.

Ouch. Seems like very large metal particles would have to go through to take out a bearing inside of 6k. So the filter would absolutely be kaput. So much so I'd think the junk was after the filter (left behind machining chips?).

I know the article doesn't say much, but I wonder how they know it made it past the filter.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
This seems to be a good case for dealer oil changes.

Imagine if you were the BITOGer using the fancy aftermarket filter with the best Synthetic and this happened. I doubt Chevy warranty nor oil filter maker would own up to it without a lawyer involved.

thumbsup2.gif

35.gif

I think the more important question is: Where did the metal come from.

In a properly designed and built engine there shouldn't be any metal being generated, let alone moving through the oil system!!!!!

I'd assume the filter is an AC Delco, made by Champ Labs which is now under the UCI-Fram banner.

So the conclusion is that a piece of metal debris from bad oil filter destroyed the engine. Does that mean the metal originated with the filter, or filter didn't stop/(filter) the metal debris? Seems to be implying the former rather than the latter. Either way, not too good.

The Long-term C7 at Edmunds.com overheats when being driven briskly on mountain roads.

I don't think that the C7 is prone to any chronic faults, but it sure doesn't help GM to have their cars suffer serious problems right off the bat...

The sense of paranoia is strong. If this was a case for your average Corvette owner GM would replace the engine and a thorough power train investigation on why the engine failed would take place. If GM found the oil filter manufacture liable GM would get their money from the manufacture.

Owners and franchise service managers that has gone through this process will verify this. Consumers are protected due to the potential for very negative repercussions for a denied warranty claim.

Is C&D really running this thing all the way up to 7500 mile oil changes? Especially with all of the "testing" that they are surely performing on this car?

Does it not have an OLM that is requiring a change sooner than the 7500 mile guideline?

I wouldn't be running oil and a filter past 5000 miles... tops. If C&D had done so, there wouldn't likely have been an engine installed at 6000 miles.

But what do they care? They don't.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Is C&D really running this thing all the way up to 7500 mile oil changes? Especially with all of the "testing" that they are surely performing on this car?

They should be able to run it up to what the OLM says. The OLM should account for more severe driving. If the OLM is mis-programmed, then that's something. It wouldn't be the first time that an automaker (including Chevrolet) has re-programmed an OLM, and it probably wouldn't be the last. I think there are OLMs that SHOULD be re-programmed but haven't been (Honda, I'm talkin' to you here, with your VCM V-6).

Not enough info to know the what was the actual cause of the engine failure or why they suspect the oil filter. I do know that it is not uncommon for spin-on filters to blow the sealing gasket when driven hard at the track resulting in a loss of oil pressure. It's happened to a couple of friends of mine and if you don't notice the OP drop (and the oil being dumped) the engine will be lunched in short order.

FRAM/Champion/UCI marketing slogan - "A filter so complete, it brings its own damaging debris."

It just gets better and better, doesn't it.

If I had one of those newfangled Corvettes, I'd be putting a Wix/NAPA Gold on it tomorrow.

Poor QC will catch up with you no matter the purported efficiency of your media.

No real data, only conjecture.

Since they do dozens of zero to 150 mph runs during their testing it's a tough duty cycle, but no reason for this to happen.

Sounds very isolated...

Originally Posted By: loyd
I think the more important question is: Where did the metal come from.

In a properly designed and built engine there shouldn't be any metal being generated, let alone moving through the oil system!!!!!

That would be my question.

well my habit of changing out the factory fill at 1000 might have saved that engine...could be some residual assembly debris?

OR it could just be a faulty batch of rods or rod bearings. One metallurgical problem and you could have a few dozen engines destroyed. It would also be unpreventable if not caught before assembly. At 6000 miles I am sure there are GM engineers crawling all over that thing like an anthill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back