LEDs are now plug-and-play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart has a new line of LEDs. On the package, it says "Will not throw error codes." Also, there is nothing on the package that says a resistor is required (only for the blinker circuit of course).

Can I throw those LEDs in my turn signals in my ancient econobox without using a resistor?

I also checked O'Reilly -- no warning of any kind about using them, either.

Usually not. Most vehicles will require a resistor or they will hyper flash.

The "no code" thing is usually more for the can-bus system. Many vehicles will show a bulb out warning if you install LED's. The can-bus LEDs prevent that. Also, some vehicles have issues with the dimming interior lights if led's are installed. In those cases, the can-bus LED's take care of that problem also.

I have installed many, many, many led lights in vehicles. As far as turn signals go, you pretty much will always have to install a 15w resistor or similar inline with the LED in order for them to flash properly. Some vehicles you can get away with replacing your turn signal flasher unit with an electronic load adjusting unit instead of a thermal flasher. Most cars will allow you to change things such as running lamps, interior bulbs, incense plate, reverse lights, etc without any issues. Again, the can-bus bulbs are a better choice because it takes the guessing out of it if you need one or not. The kits I've seen at Walmart are advertised as Dome Lamp kits had and three different LED's I believe.

There are a few LED lights that will work without resistors, but these things usually cost in the $25-100 each range. Much less expensive to wire some resistors with the less expensive bulbs.

One other thing I should point out. If you are using something like a 3157 dual filament turn signal bulb, cheaper LED's don't do a great job of having a distinguished low and high output. It makes it harder to see when the turn signal is activated while the running lights are turned on in the car. Also, some applications make it difficult to see the LED turn signals in the day also depending out how the lamp is designed.

If you do want to add the LED turn signals, simply get some 15w resistors and tap them into the turn signal bulb wires. I have multiple vehicles running fine with them like that. It isn't a lot of work.

Last edited:
The Led bulbs don't have a resister large enough create a load to prevent hyper flash. I fixed hyper flash on my 02 Chevy by changing the flasher relay for led bulbs. Apparently 07+ Chevy trucks can have the BCM reprogrammed for led bulbs.

Last edited:
I see. I was hoping it meant that the resistors were built into the bulbs I was looking at.

There are some replacement bulbs that use LED's, configured to consume the proper amount of power. I'm not sure if the ones you mention are those.

Even if any given LED drop in replacement does not cause issues with hyperflashing or allowing the vehicle to think a bulb is blown, it does not mean the bulb is properly firing into the reflector or the crenellations in the lens.

Meaning they might look brighter from certain angles, but from a slightly different angle, they might barely be visible. Attempts to radially fire multiple LEDS might work acceptable in some vehicles and be abhorrent in some others as the lens and reflector were designed around a single point source of light.

I have seen many replacement bulbs in cars that are simply unsafe, as there is, as mentioned, not enough brightness difference between running and brake lights, but also in a highway switching lanes situation, the signal light, the blinking light is not visible to the car in the next lane. Also some LEDS are simply too bright, and this gets so annoying in a traffic jam that it has almost tripped my road rage factor.

If an accident occurs because of a lED bulb in a halogen reflector/lens and IF the insurance companies get uptight, a smart lawyer can negate claims. A bunch of iF's of course.

I tried LEDs in my reverse lights and went back to incandescent as they were impossible to see at an angle when backing out of a diagonal parking spot.

Vehicle lighting is a safety device, not a fashion accessory.

I believe only Phillips make lED drop in replacement bulbs which are tested and rate to be adequate replacements into incandescent housings, and only on some vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Usually not. Most vehicles will require a resistor or they will hyper flash.

The "no code" thing is usually more for the can-bus system. Many vehicles will show a bulb out warning if you install LED's. The can-bus LEDs prevent that. Also, some vehicles have issues with the dimming interior lights if led's are installed. In those cases, the can-bus LED's take care of that problem also.

I have installed many, many, many led lights in vehicles. As far as turn signals go, you pretty much will always have to install a 15w resistor or similar inline with the LED in order for them to flash properly. Some vehicles you can get away with replacing your turn signal flasher unit with an electronic load adjusting unit instead of a thermal flasher. Most cars will allow you to change things such as running lamps, interior bulbs, incense plate, reverse lights, etc without any issues. Again, the can-bus bulbs are a better choice because it takes the guessing out of it if you need one or not. The kits I've seen at Walmart are advertised as Dome Lamp kits had and three different LED's I believe.

There are a few LED lights that will work without resistors, but these things usually cost in the $25-100 each range. Much less expensive to wire some resistors with the less expensive bulbs.

One other thing I should point out. If you are using something like a 3157 dual filament turn signal bulb, cheaper LED's don't do a great job of having a distinguished low and high output. It makes it harder to see when the turn signal is activated while the running lights are turned on in the car. Also, some applications make it difficult to see the LED turn signals in the day also depending out how the lamp is designed.

If you do want to add the LED turn signals, simply get some 15w resistors and tap them into the turn signal bulb wires. I have multiple vehicles running fine with them like that. It isn't a lot of work.
I agree with your comments. I replaced my #921 reverse bulbs with "super bright" LED bulbs. Looking at them they were very bright, but the light on the ground was less than the OEM bulbs. I believe this was caused by the LEDs not being at the reflector focal point. I put the OEMs back in. My wife's comment was, " Looks like Toyota knew what they were doing". Replacing the trunk light OEM bulb with a LED did make a big difference in visibility.

Last edited:
I've had 35W Halogens as a back up light for few years, much better than original P21W. Good leds are hard to find, maybe 10 % of led replacements are somewhat useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back