DEFY vs MAXLIFE vs Mobil1 HM vs. Castrol HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ It`s all personal preference, thats all it is. Kinda like that old Kenelration commercial.....my dog`s better than your dog!
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I like Mobil 1 HM here the best, but your car won't notice a difference and will run great on all the above oils. Get what is on sale, namely Valvoline HM Next Gen (with a rebate)...

I used Castrol High Mileage (pretty green bottle) the first time I ever changed my oil (Hyundai). The vehicle felt nice on the highway and gave me a feeling of solidity. Maybe it was just the clean oil.

I have never used it again, though I wouldn't mind using a GTX formula if I had to.

I did however put Max Life into our Prius when we were in Iowa on vacation and when I took it out on the paved country roads, I literally said "wow". I wasn't expecting anything, I just wanted to run the oil up to temp so it got sloshed around a bit. I noticed a notable increase in HP and the vehicle ran and glided so smooth. It was like a new vehicle.

The fill before the Max Life was Pennzoil. Never noticed a difference on the PZ.

I vote Max Life, but Castrol a good (but distant) second.

Also don't forget the Pennzoil HM formula. M1 HM seems the best because it's full synthetic (whatever group they use) as opposed to being a blend. The only problem for some is that it is not available in 5W20 grade.

Personally, I have a stash of about 25 quarts of Valvoline Maxlife NextGen 5W30, so to me this is the dearest HM motor oil until they run out.

Back then when castrol highmiles was like 15 buck, I use it and my engine so quiet, the guy stand next to it, ask me if my car is on. its 10w30 castrol gtx HM on a 1995 mitsubishi eclipse 130k+ miles.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Back then when castrol highmiles was like 15 buck, I use it and my engine so quiet, the guy stand next to it, ask me if my car is on. its 10w30 castrol gtx HM on a 1995 mitsubishi eclipse 130k+ miles.

I noticed that in my daughters high mileage Lumina. Have some in GTX Hm in it right now and it is quieter than it's ever been, very obvious. I used to use Castrol GTX all the time and got away from it, this OCI in her car was kind of a fluke but I'm impressed.

I wonder if any of these stats from Product Sheets gives us a clue to how they rate ?

Defy has a HT/HS of 3.21 (5W-30), 3.36 (10W-30), 3.7 (10W-40)
and a Noack of 12.5, 12.7, and 13.

Mobil1 HM has a HT/HS of 3.3 (5W-30), 3.5 (10W-30) and 3.9 10W-40).

MaxLife as a Noack of 12 (5-30), 12 (10W-30) and 12 (10W-40) with a TBN of 8.7

Castrol GTX HM has a HT/HS of 2.9 (5W-30), 2.9 (10W30), and 2.9 (10W-40).

All I know is my old 92 Honda civic with 200k+ miles drank Defy like it was water. Supertech HM fared much better. Maybe because Defy is 50% syn, ST HM is dino. I'll be replacing the valve stem seals and rocker arm lower seals soon. Maybe I'll give it another try.

[censored], just realized I raised this thread from the dead.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Is there a website where you can get the specs on Supertech oils?

Search for Supertech VOA's and UOA's with the search function. You'll find links to the MSDS, etc.

BTW, I'm not saying Supertech is a better oil than Defy. I'm just saying it worked better in my particular vehicle. I put Defy in my girlfriend's 2006 Chevy Malibu 3.5 V6, also, and it consumed Defy faster than other oils.

Again, I'm not saying it's bad oil. I'm saying it burns faster in the two cars I've used it in. You may have better luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
MaxLife is the best oil period. End of thread.

That's what OilChanger told me.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back