MMO + Use Thicker Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
I added the ester for gentle cleaning over the OCI. It is a light, very polar polyol ester, but with a flash point of 465F it will not volatize away like some of the MMO. It also kicks in some lubricity and seal conditioning, but those were not my purpose.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Will the ester have any impact on the viscosity?

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Molakule, how are your university students progressing? Are you impressed with the millennial generation?

The current crop of graduate students is impressive in the sense they seem to be focused. Many will seek opportunities in the pharmaceutical, agricultural, and other chemical related industries.

Undergrads in chemistry and physics are still trying to find their niche.

Sometimes I am able to steer some students toward tribology
thumbsup2.gif
, primarily because of the impressive array of instrumentation we use.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Yes, this ester is only 3.4 cSt @ 100c, below the SAE scale. The one pint I added (8.3%) will drop a 15W-40 by 2 cSt (15 cSt down to 13 cSt). The pint of MMO drops it another 2 cSt to 11 cSt, and the 2 qts of 0W-30 bring it into the 10s.

Tom

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Many will seek opportunities in the pharmaceutical .... and other chemical related industries.

Ahh, some things never change! (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Molakule, how are your university students progressing? Are you impressed with the millennial generation?

The current crop of graduate students is impressive in the sense they seem to be focused. Many will seek opportunities in the pharmaceutical, agricultural, and other chemical related industries.

Undergrads in chemistry and physics are still trying to find their niche.

Sometimes I am able to steer some students toward tribology
thumbsup2.gif
, primarily because of the impressive array of instrumentation we use.
smile.gif

Ha. What originally got me interested in carpentry was the tools to be honest. All the cool stuff I got to use.
Then I learned that the tools are only as good as the man who's hands they are in,and became a minimalist,because I learned how to use tools properly and found that I didn't have to spend a fortune on stuff I was only going to use once or twice,when simple hand tools would accomplish the job with a minimum expenditure.
Of course I'd buy the best tools I could afford. For example hinges and doors can be done by hand,or you can buy power equipment if doing lots of them.

I'd love to see your shop/lab. Now that I'm older I can appreciate the science end of things whereas as a kid it bored me.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

Yes, this ester is only 3.4 cSt @ 100c, below the SAE scale. The one pint I added (8.3%) will drop a 15W-40 by 2 cSt (15 cSt down to 13 cSt). The pint of MMO drops it another 2 cSt to 11 cSt, and the 2 qts of 0W-30 bring it into the 10s.

Tom

Thanks again Tom. Let us know your observations and results.

Well , my biggest issue is trying to I.D. this large dark grey canister bolted to the firewall with a hose coming out of the top that then travels through the firewall somewhere . It was a VERY tight space wise to get the oil filter in there due to this dark grey "canister thing" which restricted space getting to the oil filter . Also strange is this Jeep 4.0L engine should only require 6 qrts. of oil - this 4.0L engine of mine requires almost 7 qrts to reach full on level groung with a varied stock dip stick !! A PM to KCJeep determined what ever this thing is - it isn't stock ... I'm dying to know what this canister thing is ?? Anyway , once full and oil level varied a few times the start up was fine with no unusual noises to report . About all I can say at this time - now back to this mystery canister !!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Well , my biggest issue is trying to I.D. this large dark grey canister bolted to the firewall with a hose coming out of the top that then travels through the firewall somewhere . It was a VERY tight space wise to get the oil filter in there due to this dark grey "canister thing" which restricted space getting to the oil filter . Also strange is this Jeep 4.0L engine should only require 6 qrts. of oil - this 4.0L engine of mine requires almost 7 qrts to reach full on level groung with a varied stock dip stick !! A PM to KCJeep determined what ever this thing is - it isn't stock ... I'm dying to know what this canister thing is ?? Anyway , once full and oil level varied a few times the start up was fine with no unusual noises to report . About all I can say at this time - now back to this mystery canister !!

Can you post pictures of the canister?

Thanks demarpaint , I will get pictures - in the next day or two for sure so you folks can see what I got going on here . * Having not posted pictures here before I'm thinking there are directions / proper procedure for posting pictures to this site ?
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46

Can you post pictures of the canister?

^^ I usually stumble through posting pictures. If you have a problem PM me and I'll post them for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back