Lawsuit hits at Jiffy Lube Intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the lawsuit is dumb. but that being said i think instead of saying 3 months or 3000 miles they should say follow the manual to cover their butts. also why would you take your car to a jiffy lube or any other quick lube? how about a local mechanic or do it yourself? i cringe when i pass a jiffy lube. i actually turned down a job to be an asst manager whivh i applied for and got the interview. the manager said during it that he would hire me and i he told me i needed to forget everything i knew about cars. and i asked why . he then said becasue we do it the jiffy lube way. i asked what that was and he said the quickest way possible. i said well i can do it quick and right and his reply was we cut all corners that we can in order to get it done quick. they dont lube oil filter seals or anything or even put the correct amount of oil in. if it takes 4.5 quarts youll get 5. so after hearing all this i told the guy im sorry but i cannot work for you and left. sorry for the ramble but all of these quick lubes are just that quick and not always right.

I would add that while all quick lube places upsell, there are some that do their work correctly, others to avoid. The Jiffy Lubes are closing left & right in these parts if that tells you anything!

Originally Posted By: Donald
Most class action law suits are absurd and just make the lawyers rich. I think the lawyers go trolling for potential class action law suits.

They sued Sams Club in a class action law suit over (if your membership lapsed) giving you a 1 yr membership from when the last one expired rather than from when you renewed. Annoying, but not a big deal for most people.

The settlement gives me a "FREE" 20 day extension to my Sams Club membership. Wow, that will make me a much richer person.

Wally closed the local Sams, the only one in the state for "renovations" a year and a half ago. They offered to "extend" my membership. How NICE of them.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
The ex-cons and other folks who haven't quite finished grad school are also readily willing to browbeat on the color of trans fluid and the like.

I hate it when I get browbeat by a guy three credits away from his Masters!
blush.gif

Last edited:
I take my 2011 F-150 to Gateway service center to get the oil changed and they stick a 3k sticker on the windshield even though I take it in at 5k intervals.
I just remove the sticker....no big deal.

I work at a quick lube and can tell you from what I see day in and day out that allot of people are smarter than average. I get customers on the daily that come in and bad mouth the 3k mile interval the computer prints by default. Get allot of people that say "well the manufacture recommends XXXXX miles before an oil change interval so why does that only say 3k miles?" Or "My oil monitor is what I go by." It actually amazes me with some of the question I get from people regarding some of the oils. Makes me thing there is hope after all but then we do get the people that stereo typically get mentioned when talking about quick lubes. With those customers just take things more slowly and with every visit educate them more so they can make educated decisions regarding services rather than feeling pressured or bullied into a service. My manager and district manager both praise me for the services I provide to our customers where it be discussing a different oil that may suit there needs a little better or going over with the the benefits of proper maintenance to their vehicle. Ive referred some of them over to BITOG even
smile.gif

It obviously doesn't hurt when the quick lube techs actually care about the work they do, as seems to be the case with you, ANGELRAMOS.

3,000 miles is idiot proof. If the owner and the technician are not idiots, they can accomplish a more suitable OCI, of course.

Originally Posted By: Garak
It obviously doesn't hurt when the quick lube techs actually care about the work they do, as seems to be the case with you, ANGELRAMOS.

3,000 miles is idiot proof. If the owner and the technician are not idiots, they can accomplish a more suitable OCI, of course.

Thanks! We have now started printing our reminder stickers for the synthetic oils we offer at a 5k mile interval. So positive strides are being made little by little.

Good to hear. As I mentioned earlier on in this thread, I have no problem with Jiffy Lube specifying 3,000 mile OCIs. It's not reasonable for Jiffy Lube to have every OCI handy for every vehicle, along with every TSB that might come out in that regard from every manufacturer. It's tough enough ensuring one puts the right viscosity and API/ILSAC certification in, let alone deal with European specifications, all the while pumping through enough vehicles to keep things profitable.

People generally, with certain exceptions, tend to be able to read a gas gauge. They should have no problem with following a maintenance minder or opening up their manual and memorizing one, basic interval. 3,000 miles may help quick lubes protect their bottom line from a cynical standpoint, but from a more optimistic standpoint, it protects stupid motorists from themselves.

I don't tend to like quick lubes because of the wide variety of staff skills one is likely to encounter. Even at a dealer quick lube, a guy with Trav's certifications isn't going to be changing my oil, at least not for $20 to $30. I could work at a quick lube and know I'd do the job right. My brother could also get a job at some of them, at least, and he has enough difficulty with checking his own dipstick.

One quick lube is right near one of my businesses. A buddy went there, and had a less than stellar experience (no disaster or anything, of course, they just monkeyed with his diff plug when he just had the diff serviced, so they leaked a bit and he was upset). Aside from that, the staff there were extremely helpful, professional, polite, and willing to do the best job they could. I told my buddy that it could be worse; they could say they checked the diff or something else when they actually never did.

It's like any business. A few bad apples ruin it for those who care. Hey, here's an idea. Obviously, we can't expect quick lube techs to have multiple certifications. Perhaps there could be a requirement for them to be a member in good standing here as a condition of employment.
wink.gif

I have got the impression over the years that most people, not just gearheads, are aware that 3k is antiquated and a relic of marketing rather than sound maintenance.

With that said, it isn't just quick lubes that do it. I've had it from an indie shop that touts the fact they work on exotics to a Honda dealer years ago. I'm sure they know better, but still slap the 3 month/3k on there anyway.

Simple solution is to post the date and mileage when the oil change was performed and leave it up to the consumer when they return. That's what we did at one dealership where I worked. The majority, probably 90 percent, came back within 3 k miles.

I consistently using the OLM as a selling point (low maintenance costs) when i sold automobiles. The service department didnt particularly like this, as they pushed 3k oci's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back