First and last Honda mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
So about a year ago I bought a Honda lawn mower in that times it's had a couple carburetor issue and today I hit a small stump and it killed the engine and bent the crank shaft. I realize hitting a stump is not good for it but one time and a small stump at that and boom it's dead. They definitely don't build Honda mowers to deal with any kind of abuse. My neighbor had a cheap Walmart push mower he runs over an hits whatever it dies and fires right back up. Go figure. For the price Honda asks you think they would be more robust and sturdy

I have ran over alot of junk and stalled the Honda powered push mower I have and never bent the crank shaft or did any other damage. It always starts right back up. Maybe you got one with a less than perfect crankshaft forging.

LOL! just like cars aren't meant to hit the fire hydrant; mowers aren't meant to come to an abrubt stop (against a stump, rock, etc.).

Some engine will have a bit of "give" when it hits something like that (shearing the flywheel key, for B&S flatheads) and suffered from minimal damage, but does not always imply (by default) that no damage is done to it.

Most engines, even with slight crank offset, can still run and serve a fairly long service life. But damage is damage and sometimes is irreversible.

Just because you hit a stump and killed a mower engine and you blame the mower engine for that?

Q.

p.s. I have dealt with a few dead B&S mower engines with damaged crankshaft, only 1 of them can be restored somewhat to get it back to working, but the others were beyond repair. Ditto with a Tecumseh engine I did 5 yrs ago.

Huh? You hit a stump with it. That would kill just about any mower. I wouldn't blame Honda for lack of maintenance and operator error.

what model honda mower?

So I Know which one not to buy.

Last edited:
So the neighbor hard stops his engine routinely? Stalling in talk grass ok. Hitting and stopping the blade? Sounds sensational. Why didn't you buy his exact model then?

Bummer you broke it. I bought a flathead because I wanted a machine to burn junk fuel. Not a bells and whistles machine, but it's fine.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Huh? You hit a stump with it. That would kill just about any mower. I wouldn't blame Honda for lack of maintenance and operator error.

Lack of maintenance are you serious? This thing has been garage kept always washed off oil changed air filters blah blah blah. It has been a pile from day one. First the carb had to be redone after sitting all winter even though I winterized it like Honda said. Then it had a gasket with in the carburetor fail then the self propell had issues then the auto choke thing. Then this. It's been babied. Yes a stump is not an ideal thing but we are talking a very small stump and it caught the edge of it other mowers have hit it in the past and my neighbor has slammed his into several stumps this one time and it breaks .... A lawn mower should be designed to take a certain amount of neglect . Like running on month old fuel and such. This thing is the pickiest lawn mower I've ever seen and most delicate. Never in my life were any of our Briggs this delicate.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So the neighbor hard stops his engine routinely? Stalling in talk grass ok. Hitting and stopping the blade? Sounds sensational. Why didn't you buy his exact model then?

Bummer you broke it. I bought a flathead because I wanted a machine to burn junk fuel. Not a bells and whistles machine, but it's fine.

Because the Honda is comfortable to use and I thought "it's a Honda it'll be very reliable" we had old flat head Briggs growing up they were maintained at all and still never died. They didn't always run right but at least they ran without much [censored]. This Honda is a picky pain in the [censored].

I've hit stumps and other things with my rechargeable electric mower... I can't kill it!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
I've hit stumps and other things with my rechargeable electric mower... I can't kill it!
smile.gif

Maybe an electric wouldn't be a bad idea lol. My yard is just a hair big though. Hmmmm I little rider would be nice something better than this Honda.

I have a rather dumb question on this topic:
As i was breaking in my mower (Honda) i was mowing some extremely tall grass and stalled out about 10-15 times, no fault of the mower. How hard on the internals was this super severe break in?

I haven't stalled a mower in a long time, and mine have been less than 5hp. I just walk slower when it starts to bog down.

Clubbier, I bet, as an air cooled engine, the clearances are set to deal with lots of heat. Doubt any damage was done. Never heard of a car getting engine damage after popping the clutch either.

I think you got a dud, plus you did hit something with it. We have a Troybuilt with a Honda OHC motor, hit many a stump with it and it keeps on going, original air filter, on its second fill of oil...0w20 PP.

Try to find a mower with a Kawasaki small engine on it, My dad's mower with a Kawi engine on it has been bomb proof and that engine is quiet and powerful. I love it.

The Honda has always been louder than a flat head Briggs to .....

It all depends on the stump and how you hit it. I took out my 14 year old Briggs with a stump. Don't blame the mower. Put a HF Chonda on it and be more careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back