16 ohm or 32 ohms ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK ,I have been wondering,how you figure out witch you need?
It being something to hear via the 3.5 mm plug with mic ,either headphone with mic or hearbuds with inline mic
The smartphone is an awesome and sexy nexus 4 .

Most commonly available headphones / ear buds that are to be used with smart phones and mobile mp3/music players are 32 Ohm.
That's pretty much the standard. I haven't seen many with 16 ohm impedance.

Choose whatever 32 ohm headphones/ear buds that you like.
Haven't seen many 16 ohm headphones. Can't think why one would need that unless the 3.5mm output is a super weak one.

You should be fine with 32 ohm.

16 Ohm means less resistance than 32 Ohm, so all other things being equal, 16 Ohm headphones can sound louder, but also place bigger strain on the amp as the amp will now be delivering more current. Depending on the amp, this may result in audible distortion if the amp can't handle such high current.

However, "all other things" are typically never equal - you've got different speakers/drivers in each headphone, different sensitivity, etc. Best is to just audition them all and then decide what sounds best to your ears. Volume is just one parameter, but there is a lot more to sound quality, and a lot of it is personal preference based. Then there is fitment, especially when it comes to earbuds or in-hear phones. All our ears are shaped differently, so what fits me may not fit you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back