Thinking that used tires are a waste of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some 31x10.5x15 tires for my Jeep. I currantly have BFG T/A-Ko's on it. I really like the tires but 2 of them are worn down to the wear bars. I bought 2 at a time about a yr apart due to finances.

So i've been watching Craigslist daily and checking the used tire stores.

I would consider 2 or 4 tires of a different brand with a simmiliar tread design.

The tire stores just have junk. Some have even regrooved worn out tires, cut them down to the cords and removed the wear bars! Ain't no way I'm paying $80 for a regrooved or bald tire.

The few that show up on Craigs are either too far away or a street tread which I can't use.By the time i figure in driving 300 miles round trip it would be about the same cost as new ones.

New tires are $200 ea with mounting,balance,tax etc which i'm having a hard time grasping.

I've been bumping into the same problem. I wanted to put 31's on my second gen Explorer for a couple years, along with a couple inches of lift.

Just not worth it to put $600 of tires on a truck that's worth $1500. Secondhand tires aren't enough of a cost savings to make it worthwhile, after mounting etc. are factored in.

She needs new tires soon... will be getting sold as is or put out to pasture, I think.

Keep looking.
There are deals out there in used tires, but you have to find them.
Try calling some area yards.
Also, what search criteria are you using on CL?
Maybe try searching for auto parts with the term "Jeep"?
Should be someone parting one with good tires.
Sooner or later, you should find what you need.

Tirebuyer.com may have some options of Free Shipping depending on how far you live from one of their distributors and discount tire direct should ship free as well. Doesn't answer your question about used tires but may be an option on some new one. Some run rebates right now as well.

dtd has off brand tires for about 115$ each in that size.. not exactly 200 each.

they have general grabber AT2 for 143x4 -25$
or about 550$

you could also go metric size 265/75r15

cooper AT/3 are available for around 525$

Tirerack has quite a few options

what kind of tires were you looking for?

265/75r15
they have general grabber hts for 440-70mir+ship or about 410/set of 4

firestone destination LE2 for 444+ship = 485$

31x10.5r15
kumho road venture at kl78 for 500-80mir+40ship=460$

general grabber at2 127x4=508-70mir+40ship=478$

mud tire
kumho road venture MT kl71 616-100mir=516+40ship 556$

crazy offroad tire

**** cepek Crusher 640$/4 tires

Last edited:
It's because they're $200 each that they're impossible to find, used.

My neon takes $50 tires in 185/65/14 and I just scored a set of four for $60, practically new, from a junkyard. I have very little competition, I guess, and there are enough mechanically inept folks out there who'll put new tires on then send the car to the crusher in two months when the timing belt blows or whatever.

If you're willing to ship, I may have a set for you. Like 80% tread.

But they're across the country.

Make me an offer.

Junkyard used tires are nice. i go to the Upullit and find great stuff all of the time, but tire shops selling used tires are nothing but worn out trash, for the most part. Never bought a used tire that lasted more than 5,000 miles, tops. Not worth it, and I couldn't stand buying people's garbage for that much.

But tires are a consumable. You might as well calculate the fuel you're going to use over the next year and figure it's not worth spending that much in gas on your truck.

I put four of These on my Tacoma this year. I did lots of research and I think it was the best bang for my buck. They'll do an easy pay plan if you need to.

Around here, used tires went from being a good value (3 or 4 years ago) to not being worth anything.

I should have held onto my bald Hankook Optimos that came on the Focus. I would have been able to sell them for at least 1/2 of what I paid for my new tires

You're correct in that used tires are a waste of time because you just don't know how they were driven and treated before you buy them.

However, they do make sense for spare tire use, if you're lucky enough to have a full-size spare

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I need some 31x10.5x15 tires for my Jeep.

Part of the problem as I see it in these parts, is that that size tire is getting harder and harder to find, especially in the used tire department.

Yours is the same size tire I run on the rear of the "Luv" machine. One finally split last Monday and I need a replacement, (it's been on it's way out for almost a year now), but after looking through several junk piles at different tire stores, I can't find a single one. Plenty of 17's and up, but nothing in the 15 inch range. It's even getting hard to find a good used 235/15 around here.

Try the junk yard,I find pairs of tires at about 50 to60 bucks and they will mount for 10 bucks more.then get balanced at a tire store for 15 a tire. Save some money for other needs (beer maybe) and put some cash in your pocket.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If you're willing to ship, I may have a set for you. Like 80% tread.

But they're across the country.

Make me an offer.
i wonder how much to ship to 92345?

Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
I put four of These on my Tacoma this year. I did lots of research and I think it was the best bang for my buck. They'll do an easy pay plan if you need to.
i started another thread a few months ago about those.they are terrible! once they wear about 20% they lose their sipes and become useless trash.

Buy cheaper tires that you can afford, its silly spending so much time on this. Drive 300 miles for tires? I wouldn't do that to buy a new truck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back