How to determine what chain a chain saw takes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new chain saw chain that doesn't fit any of my chain saws. In the past I've had 20" and 24" so I assume it fits one of them. Is there some way I can measure it to see what size it is? I don't want to scrap it.

The package has 32MD5079 on it and there is D1 stamped in the links.

Originally Posted By: strongt
Comes back as a HomeLight 20" chain.

Thanks. That is one of the saws I use to have.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: edhackett
Google is your friend.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/chain-32md5079-2034-p-1743666.html

Ed

I was on that site earlier looking. Must not have go to the right place to look.

I usually start by entering part number directly into google. Google seems to find things better than using most site's internal search function. In this case it returned 3 hits, the first being your original post and the second the above link.

Ed

Chainsaws has a few numbers the are important

pitch, gauge, length, drive link number

for example my 69$ refurb ryobi takes a .325 .050 72drive link chain.

Is it a sexy 400$+ stihl or husqvarna? Regretfully No.

its it a Homelite or poulan ... thankfully no..

It does fine for my once a month or so use.. just ordered up some replacement chains this week.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
So the 32MD5079 would be .32 x .050 x 79?

not positive but something like that.

probably .325 though.

that's it. You may add chisel geometry for different cutting characteristics too but in this context, that's "extra".
Keep two or three chains and get a file and sharpening instructions. a chain can be restored to better than new a couple of times before replacement. File you chains at home and rotate on the job.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Chainsaws has a few numbers the are important

pitch, gauge, length, drive link number

for example my 69$ refurb ryobi takes a .325 .050 72drive link chain.

Is it a sexy 400$+ stihl or husqvarna? Regretfully No.

its it a Homelite or poulan ... thankfully no..

It does fine for my once a month or so use.. just ordered up some replacement chains this week.

I have one of those Harbor Freight electric chain sharpeners. Works pretty good once set up.

image_14089.jpg

Actually I use the flex when I sharpen. I set it up to not touch the chain. Then lower it and pull it toward the chain to hit the metal.

Only time I go to the grinder is if I rock a chain, learn to hand file and you can make them cut better than new, much much better. Takes about the same amount of time to touch up a chain as it does to take one off and run it through the grinder and you take off less material. Should be able to get 15-20 sharpenings out of a chain with a file if you don't let em get too bad, grinder might get half that unless you just barely touch the cutters to the wheel.

Always remember to knock down the rakers a little when you sharpen otherwise your sharp cutters can't get an efficient bite of wood on their way through.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
Only time I go to the grinder is if I rock a chain, learn to hand file and you can make them cut better than new, much much better. Takes about the same amount of time to touch up a chain as it does to take one off and run it through the grinder and you take off less material. Should be able to get 15-20 sharpenings out of a chain with a file if you don't let em get too bad, grinder might get half that unless you just barely touch the cutters to the wheel.

Always remember to knock down the rakers a little when you sharpen otherwise your sharp cutters can't get an efficient bite of wood on their way through.

We have both, since we have 6 chains we usually use the grinder.

Take the file for a quick touch up occasionally.

Sometimes Black Locust can be really tough on chains.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back