ecoboost longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "too soon and untested" statement is not true.

Turbocharged vehicles have been on the road for over half a century now. Properly cared for, they hold up just fine. And, they have advantages that are worth the additional cost. Mid range torque is one major advantage.

Our 2011 EB F150 is doing just fine and is a pleasure to drive.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I have few concerns about boosted vehicles making 200k+ miles easily when purchased new and maintained well.

That's how I feel. When we start seeing lots of them with 200k+ miles we'll know for sure. For now all we have to go by is educated guesses and anecdotal evidence, something many members are opposed to here. Granted there are a few that crossed that mark, I just haven't seen any though, nor do I know what kind of repairs might have been needed to get them there. I'm a big FMC fan boy, I'd just like to hear reports from owners who crossed the 200K mile mark that's all. No bashing just stating my feelings. BTW I'm talking about Ford Eco-boost here.

Take this for what it is worth. One of my extra duty's for the department I work for is fleet manager of vehicles. Our department has transitioned from Crown Vic's to Dodge Chargers(5.7 Hemi's). We decided to go with the Chargers after consulting with mechanics and watching the issues of a neighboring department and the Eco-Boost engines of the Interceptors.

The neighboring departments Ford Interceptors have been experiencing quite a few problems with oil consumption and smoking. All at less than 40,000 miles. Luckily these vehicles are under warranty and they said Ford is being very open and pro active. These cars have spent a lot of down time in the garage of the local Ford dealer.

It is my understanding the Interceptor and the F-150 share the same EB engine, so I think this is a reasonable comparison. I certainly have a concern with long term durabilty of the EB engine in a severe or heavy duty type enviroment.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
For now all we have to go by is educated guesses and anecdotal evidence

Maybe not:

Here are some quotes from EB owners:

"Update: Just rolled 136,000 on my 2012 F150 purchased in April 2012. No problems yet"
15341d1402113206-who-has-most-miles-thier-ecoboost-so-far-f150.jpg

"Just about 97,000 on my EB!! No problems yet! Fingers crossed! Purchased in April 2012"

"Just purchased 2012 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 with 167k. runs smooth. got the extended warranty just in case!"

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Maybe not:

"Update: Just rolled 136,000 on my 2012 F150 purchased in April 2012. No problems yet"

"Just about 97,000 on my EB!! No problems yet! Fingers crossed! Purchased in April 2012"

"Just purchased 2012 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 with 167k. runs smooth. got the extended warranty just in case!"

Still a maybe in my book. When I start hearing about thousands of them with 200K plus problem free miles I'm sold. That shouldn't take much longer either. Until then I'll remain a cautiously optimistic Ford fan boy.

Originally Posted By: klt1986
Take this for what it is worth. One of my extra duty's for the department I work for is fleet manager of vehicles. Our department has transitioned from Crown Vic's to Dodge Chargers(5.7 Hemi's). We decided to go with the Chargers after consulting with mechanics and watching the issues of a neighboring department and the Eco-Boost engines of the Interceptors.

The neighboring departments Ford Interceptors have been experiencing quite a few problems with oil consumption and smoking. All at less than 40,000 miles. Luckily these vehicles are under warranty and they said Ford is being very open and pro active. These cars have spent a lot of down time in the garage of the local Ford dealer.

It is my understanding the Interceptor and the F-150 share the same EB engine, so I think this is a reasonable comparison. I certainly have a concern with long term durabilty of the EB engine in a severe or heavy duty type enviroment.

I heard and read similar complaints, which makes me feel the way I do.

[/quote] I think there are plenty of Saabs and Volvos with turbos that have gone way beyond 200K....VWs too. [/quote]

My 1986 Volvo 740 Turbo (bought new) was still going strong after 18 years and 285,000 Km (178,000 miles). The Turbo was only oil cooled, and supported exclusively by dino oil, but changed at 3 month intervals.

I sold it to a friend (yes to a friend!) who taught their kids how to drive in that car and sold it after 5 more years to a hot rodder who promptly wrote it off.

Neither of us did anything to the turbo or to the engine. But I'll admit I worried about when the turbo was going to pack it in. So the technology is there. But whether Ford is building them as tough is anyone's guess.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Maybe not:

Antidotal, but exactly the sort of info I'm looking for.

Couple questions:why no commas on the milage display, and why is it D/M/2/1? I get drive and manual, but what is the 2 and 1 settings for? Is 2 used to lock the trans Into second, for driving on snow (won't start in first)? If so, what is 1for?

One important thing I learned is that the F150 and Car Ecoboosts have a lot of different parts even though the base architecture is the same. There is a TSB on the car version for the oil consumption and smoking. Has to do with the PCV system and the oil separator. Nothing for the F150 version though. And I can say both mine don't smoke or use any oil between changes according to the OLM.

Originally Posted By: supton

Couple questions:why no commas on the milage display, and why is it D/M/2/1? I get drive and manual, but what is the 2 and 1 settings for? Is 2 used to lock the trans Into second, for driving on snow (won't start in first)? If so, what is 1for?

Don't know on the commas. Must be a Ford thinK as my Taurus doesn't do that either.

Best answer I got is that for those with the manumatics, we get the M while everyone else gets a 3 in its place. If you put it in 1 or 2 it will lock in those gears. Seems very redundant to me but I'm sure it's a cost savings as they only need one linkage and multiple labels.

After seeing the Eco-boost that ford had in baja and seeing the engine torn down after all the abuse they put that truck thru I have zero durability concerns when it comes to the 3.5l engine.
In fact the only ones that I read about having issues are the ones that aren't driven hard,and babied.
Get em hot,drive em hard and enjoy the ride.
If seriously concerned get an extended warranty and fuggetaboudit

Turbo's hold up just fine, they are just not as tolerant of neglect as NA engines are.

For a used truck, since trucks tend to get beat on this would be a concern. But your buying new enough where it shouldn't matter.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
One important thing I learned is that the F150 and Car Ecoboosts have a lot of different parts even though the base architecture is the same. There is a TSB on the car version for the oil consumption and smoking. Has to do with the PCV system and the oil separator. Nothing for the F150 version though. And I can say both mine don't smoke or use any oil between changes according to the OLM.

Interesting. I figured there might be some differences.

with an ecoboost, you can count on the turbos failing. without a doubt. recognize the failure symptoms and replace them early and you will save yourself hassle with chunks entering the intake and destroying everything. how long will they last is anyones guess but 100-150k seems to be the universal time for a turbo (any brand) to go south. its not the craftsmanship of the turbo at question, they are designed at super tight specs but when you have bits rotating at 100,000 revolutions for 4000 engine hours bad things will happen.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
with an ecoboost, you can count on the turbos failing. without a doubt. recognize the failure symptoms and replace them early and you will save yourself hassle with chunks entering the intake and destroying everything. how long will they last is anyones guess but 100-150k seems to be the universal time for a turbo (any brand) to go south. its not the craftsmanship of the turbo at question, they are designed at super tight specs but when you have bits rotating at 100,000 revolutions for 4000 engine hours bad things will happen.

What are the signs of failure? When my TDI popped a turbo, it did it suddenly. No oil usage increase leading up to the event. No noise. Just suddenly no power.

But mine snapped the shaft. I think the fins were intact. Probably from surge? I tend to prefer low rpm's but with a heavy foot. Still. It made 249kmiles. If I assume an average speed of 60mph then that was 4,150 hours, rather close to your estimate.

I agree with those who suggest that the problem isn't with it being a turbo, but with how it was maintained.

If I were going for a turbo charged engine, I'd want new, or a good manufacturer warranty backing a used vehicle.

The technology is sound. But it's also well known that turbos are not as tolerant of neglect as the typical comparable NA engine.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

I'm guessing on American vehicles? Because this is factually unsupported and incorrect for millions of European cars, not to mention diesels.

How is a Garrett or KKK used in a Ford different than one used in say a Volvo or a Mercedes?

I expect a turbo to last the lifetime of the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

I expect a turbo to last the lifetime of the engine.

But don't you know lots of people where this isn't the case? My buddy got a 160k, one owner, always dealer serviced with records, Forester XT. 10k later it got noisy and died. No reason it shouldnt've gone for longer, but it didn't.

Does a turbo cost more or less than an auto trans? Seems most want to forgive a trans rebuild after 150k, as a wear item, yet don't think a bad turbo is tolerable.

Originally Posted By: supton
Does a turbo cost more or less than an auto trans? Seems most want to forgive a trans rebuild after 150k, as a wear item, yet don't think a bad turbo is tolerable.

I found this info on the web previously that said to replace both of the turbo's on the ecoboost would cost ~$2k (or half of that for just one).

Sounds less than a trans rebuild considering today's advanced transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back