Help with choosing a 9mm semi automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a lot of great topics in this forum and I am looking at 9mm semiautomatic handguns. Are there any recommendations that anyone has for them, I am currently look at a Ruger SR9.

Glock 19 or sig p229DAK feel best in my hand. I do love the H&K UHP 9mm for a slightly larger version.

I just bought a smith and wesson M&P shield, its smaller than the M&P compact and its for concealed carry. It fits my hands better than anything else, I do need to go put some rounds through it and break it in. Its a bit less than 1 inch wide so i can conceal it. 8round mag. If you are not looking for concealed carry, glock is an excellent choice.

Last edited:
What will the intended use be?

That being said the Glock 19 will do just about anything you need it to from killing paper, to a nightstand gun, to even a CCW piece.

Originally Posted By: telecat
.45 ACP. 9mm might stop a possum but I'd never bet my life on it stopping a human on PCP or crystal meth.

20 years ago that was the case, but with the invention of bonded jacketed hollow points, the 9mm became a good manstopper.

The 45ACP itself has limitations aside from lower capacity and more felt recoil.

.45 ACP. 9mm might stop a possum but I'd never bet my life on it stopping a human on PCP or crystal meth.

I used to think that, at it was true some time back but good hollowpoint 9mm is effective. Granted .45 hollowpoints vs 9mmhollow points, the 45 is no doubt the winner. Modern 9mm is more than effective.

I have a .45, its just not comfortable and practical to carry concealed. It is my house gun however( The gun i keep readily available in house.)
My car gun is a ruger p95 with a mec-gar 17 roung magazine. I carry this on highway/vacation road trips for its capacity. I load this with corbon powerball, and the bottom of the mag with a few fmj.

For concealed i have a lcp .380 loaded with fmj due to its lower power and penetration.
I just got a new mp shield 9mm for concealed carry also, i will load this with the corbon powerball as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

I used to think that, at it was true some time back but good hollowpoint 9mm is effective. Granted .45 hollowpoints vs 9mmhollow points, the 45 is no doubt the winner. Modern 9mm is more than effective.

There is no decisive winner in killing percentage between 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45ACP. Hasn't been for over a decade. This is based upon nation wide (USA) ER visits with gunshot wounds. Bigger difference was whether it was a single shot or a double tap.

Purchasing any of the bonded HP's on the market and you are in great shape, irregardless of the caliber. Extreme Duty, Buffalo Bore, HST, Double Tap, CorBon, Ranger, and the list goes on and on. Tech, design, and new blends of powders have really made self defense/duty ammunition NOTHING like your daddy's 38 of yore.....(not that 38 doesn't have some good loads!).

Well first things first, you need to decide what the gun is primarily going to be used for. If it is strictly a home defense/nightstand gun, then you will want a full size service pistol, preferably with a rail and flashlight mounted to it. If you were to have a concealed carry permit and wishing to carry it outside the home, then you will want a smaller size pistol such as a Glock 26 or Smith & Wesson Shield, etc.

The Ruger SR9 is an OK pistol in my opinion, but is kind of considered 2nd tier, and I would look elsewhere. Look at the Glock 17 or 19, Smith & Wesson M&P, Sig P226, P229 or Sig Pro, Beretta 92FS or PX4, Walther PPQ, FN FNX or FNS. These pistols are all better quality than the Ruger you are looking at.
Avoid everything TAURUS. CZ makes a good pistol too but I don't know enough about them.

This is not my picture, but is what my nightstand gun looks like. Glock 21 .45ACP with Streamlight TLR-2 flashlight/laser combo mounted. Rule number 1 is to always identify your target, hence the mounted flashlight recommendation.

Glock17_w_TLR-2.jpg

OP is this your first handgun? IMO Ruger's triggers are simply awful for the most part. A horrid trigger not only detracts from the shooting experience it negatively impacts accuracy.

I like Kahr's and Glocks. Kahr triggers are some of the best out of the box. The Kahr CM9 is a sweetheart of a 9 that you can conceal easily if that's one of your intents. Glock does not make a highly concealable 9mm but the smaller ones can be made to work in many instances.

Glock 19's are tough to beat for an all-around great gun. Also consider the Beretta PX4 Storm. Feels great to shoot but don't have enough rounds thru it to completely judge.

Try to handle as many pistols as you can. Some will fit your hand like a glove and some will feel awful, and when you know which 3 or 4 are the best fit, take them all to the range and see which you are most accurate with.
Out of the more accurate ones, think about capacity, rate of fire and reliability. Its a very subjective issue, and no amount of internet-talk should decide it for you.
That said, a glock or a 1911 would be nice
smile.gif

All good points, and hand fit is important. I own the SR9, and it has not had a jam or misfeed since the initial purchase and cleaning.

I sold ALL my Glock and ALL my Sig 9mm's. I own a CZ P-09. Not only does it cost less, it's better. Holds 19 rounds, but doesn't feel like it. Better trigger, more accurate (for me).

The only drawback? Magazines are not cheap. Around $50.

I just don't like Glock any more and I don't like Sig P226/229 triggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back