help me pick locks for my house

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't need mega security, but I would like to have one key open everything. I have about three deadbolts and five doorknobs I'd like keyed alike. I'd also like the company to exist in ten years when I need a replacement, and to be able to key that to match what I have. I don't believe I need locksmith grade stuff.

My doorknobs fail in the loose/rattly mode, so something that could stand up to this would be great.

Ideas!

I have and like baldwin. believe you can set the locks to operate off one key. After 15 years, i had a part break on my manchester handleset. I called and they sent the part at no cost.

Last edited:
I own several rental properties and have had very good success with Weiser locks. I use their deadbolts that you can re-key yourself. Very easy and very convenient for me when a tenant moves out. Home Depot up here has a great selection.

Schlage stuff is OK.

Emtek will be an overall step up in quality feel. They offer lots of designs, too.

Also, to the OP,
Many locks use standard lock cylinder designs, so rekeying is generally quite easy for any competent locksmith. My local locksmith charges around $9 to do it.

A 6 pin Schlage might be a decent compromise, it gives you slightly more pick resistance than the standard 5 pin locks that you buy at Home Depot.

If you move into Medeco or Mul-T-Lock, you're looking at big bucks, but they have hardened cylinders to make it a little more difficult to drill, and are pretty close to impossible to pick or bump open.

Of course any lock won't keep you secure if the strike isn't installed correctly.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I personally worry less about picking , kicking in is the usual entry.

This is true. A homeowner is probably better off focusing on securing the strike plate to the door jamb over buying a more expensive lock. Most deadbolts latch into a strike that is secured into a wood jamb with a couple wood screws, making the jamb the weak link.

As for brands, Schlage is a good retail manufacturer. I know you said you don't want to spend too much, but Medeco is relatively affordable among the top end, and generally only available from locksmiths.

We have schlage. We bought matching serial numbers so that all deadbolts have the same key and all door handles/mortise locks have the same key.

My only complaint is that drawing the key out of the deadbolts has gotten very difficult recently, after about 7 years. Probably just needs some graphite...

Originally Posted By: dernp
I own several rental properties and have had very good success with Weiser locks. I use their deadbolts that you can re-key yourself. Very easy and very convenient for me when a tenant moves out. Home Depot up here has a great selection.

Kwikset bought out Weiser several years ago so you're essentially getting an overpriced Kwikset that accepts a WR5 or WR3 key-blank... Don't even get me started on their "smart" key re-keying system. Some have had great luck with them, some not so much. Out of every 7-10 I sell at the building supply, one is bad. We have a broken collection that we've slowly been resetting manually and having to sell at a discounted price...

I would suggest a KEYPAD and have a locksmith disable the "backup key".

A door bell, and a entrance camera so you can see who is at the door.

Remember, insurance companies deny claims if there's no proof of forced entry!!

1) Go to a locksmith store, find the Schlage B60 or equivalent, usually $30-$50. Have the pins inside replaced with Mushroom Pins, which will prevent 'bumping'. Basically mushroom pins have a mushroom top, when bumped fall to the side grabbing it, and defeating the bump. Then have it re-pinned for a deeper, more complex keyset, the deeper/complex the pin layout, the harder to pick/bump. (6,4,9,5,7,9 or something) These come with anti-drilling protections, pick shields, and will suffice for the majority of cases. I know expert locksmiths that spend days and days in the shop trying to get through these. They aren't impossible to get into, but offer some pretty significant protection at a low price. OR buy them, then take them into the locksmith store, have ALL mushroom pins installed, and rekeyed to be higher security.

2) Purchase Medeco locks, or a similar high security brand. These are fairly secure, although not impossible to break, and nobody can just go get a key made. They come with a credit card that has to be used at a locksmith to 'authorize' a rekey job. But these cost $120-$300 depending on model. Also, when an agent, crook, or anyone else sees Medeco on the door, they think "This dude knows about security..", it's an alarm bell for them, they get scared, they don't know what ELSE you might have..

3) Purchase Schlage Everest locks off Ebay. Only pro locksmiths can make keys for these, and they are extremely hard to break into. They do not make them anymore, so any you find will be ones before production was stopped. They have side pins that prevent most picking, and prevent bumpjobs. Cost is quite low, about $50-$70 each on Ebay.

Remember, you can buy bumpkeys for 90% of all locks for $8.00 for a complete set on the internet. This ensures 1-5 second entry to virtually all homes.

DO NOT ASK ME HOW I KNOW!
wink.gif

Last edited:
I think it really matters what your needs are. The typical answer is to make it more difficult and the thief goes on to the next house.

If you have a million dollar art collection you need more than the average homeowner.

I do not think the average thief picks a lock. They either bump open a door and find an open window or break a window.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
One usually only needs to pick locks for other people's houses.

Do tell who picks a lock. Absurd.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Not any the house brands from lowes, or home depot, and not kwikset.

As a journeyman carpenter who has installed thousands of doors and lock sets I cannot help but laugh at this comment.
When you buy the cheapest product on the shelf you get what you pay for. Quik set makes a great product when you look a tier higher than the cheapest one on the shelf.
Personally I like Schlage and weiser only because of their no hassle,no questions asked warranty and they will key all the locks the same for free.
Name brand is less important than actual cost,and therefore quality of the lock itself.

There is a keypad combination lock called Digikey that would naturally resist bumping and picking.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
One usually only needs to pick locks for other people's houses.

Do tell who picks a lock. Absurd.

It was a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back