Cooper Discoverer A/T3----Snow Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was all set on getting Michelin LTX M/S2's with the 70k warranty. I then discovered I would have to go to the older M/S (not M/S2) for the 31X10.50R15LT size.
The cost of the older M/S in this size is HIGH...higher than the M/S2...even with the current rebate. Also, this older M/S is rated at 60k instead of 70k MS2 and does not boast the same winter ratings.
As I looked around further, I noted the Cooper A/T3. I could get the same size with a substantial savings, same rebate, and rated 55k (just 5k less) than the Michelins.
I do not necessarily need an A/T tire. However, CR rated these #1 in the A/T class...even above the Michelin A/T's...and noted their good pavement characteristics.
I basically need an All Season tire that performs really well in snow. The Michelin is probably a better tire, but if the Cooper does just as well or better in snow, I'm tempted to save a chunk of money and go for them.
Please share your snow experiences with the Cooper A/T3--

I had a set of the A/T3 on a Dodge Dakota I had before buying my current truck. I thought they were a pretty decent tire for the price, performed well in winter conditions and road noise wasn't terrible for an AT tire. After the Goodyears that are on my truck wear out, i plan on having a set of the A/T3s put on. The 55k miles is a bit of downside compared to some others but I only put 3-5k on the truck a year so not a huge deal to me.

Originally Posted By: zppeterson
I had a set of the A/T3 on a Dodge Dakota I had before buying my current truck. I thought they were a pretty decent tire for the price, performed well in winter conditions and road noise wasn't terrible for an AT tire. After the Goodyears that are on my truck wear out, i plan on having a set of the A/T3s put on. The 55k miles is a bit of downside compared to some others but I only put 3-5k on the truck a year so not a huge deal to me.

Thanks!
Well, that's what I'm starting to wonder for myself. I'm a big fan of Michelin tires in general, we are a very high mileage family. I was going to purchase the M/S2's without batting an eye, but the M/S, price, (not MS2) etc. got me thinking.
This truck is not my dd, and I'm guestimating that 5-7k would be the average for it....95% highway. However, it WILL be my go-to when we get more than 2-3" of snow. It is nearly 4 miles to the first "main" road, and our road doesn't get snow plowed. I still want All Season...but if the Cooper is all-around decent and handles the snow as well as the older M/S, I might be crazy to pay the extra money..

ZPPETERSON--Minnesota should good have been a good test. If anyone else has ran these tires in snow, please let me know.

General Grabber or Discoverer AT3 ... there is an unwarranted love for severely overpriced tires here. They will last 3/4 as long and cost less then 1/2 as much.

We sell a lot of Coopers in my shop. The AT3 is a great tire for the money, so much so that I'm putting a set on my personal truck when the factory bologna skins wear out.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
We sell a lot of Coopers in my shop. The AT3 is a great tire for the money, so much so that I'm putting a set on my personal truck when the factory bologna skins wear out.

Do you get much snow where you are?

laugh.gif

Coopers have always done well for me in snow. I have the AT3 on my truck currently, they came on it when I bought it. The problem I have with Coopers is they wear out quickly. I have had pretty good luck with General at2. They are knock off BF Goodrich design, are great in all weather, and wore real nice on my last truck.

I have a set of A/T3's, and are very impressed with them... considering what I paid, they're nearly perfect.

I've had mine on my Jeep for almost a year. I went out last year on some unplowed 8-10", and they performed flawlessly. They were 10x better than the OE Michelin Latitudes. Stopping (in snow) was also excellent.

On the downside, they have a definite humm on the highway. They are louder than GY Silent Armors or Firestone Destination A/Ts (most recent A/Ts I've had).

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I've had mine on my Jeep for almost a year. I went out last year on some unplowed 8-10", and they performed flawlessly. They were 10x better than the OE Michelin Latitudes. Stopping (in snow) was also excellent.

On the downside, they have a definite humm on the highway. They are louder than GY Silent Armors or Firestone Destination A/Ts (most recent A/Ts I've had).

That's good to know.
Well, I priced the AT3 today...only about $60 cheaper for a set compared to the Mich MS.
Tire store says it is the 31X10.50R15LT size that is making it more expensive on these...especially as compared to a P tire, which is hard to find in 15".
So, for $70 difference (both have the same rebate right now) and the type of driving I will be doing, I might just go for the MS.

Another happy AT3 user here. Picked them up in P265/70r17 for my F150 last year and they have been great. Not the be-all-end-all tire for any particular condition, so if you want winter tire performance, get winter tires. But that said they do VERY well in the snow. Michigan had a very white winter last year and these did great.

I've found them very agreeable to on-road driving in any type of weather but be warned, if you see a lot of wet, loamy or muddy conditions they leave something to be desired off road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back