New Michelins from Discount Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the wife's 12 F150 in for tires today. 4 new Michelin LTX M/S2 in 275/55/20 size, $951 out the door. Then an oil change with QSGB 5/20. 20 gallons of fuel. She is ready for a few more miles.

Yeah my experiences with the Michelin LTX M/S (and now the "2" too) have always been excellent.

Worth the price of admission with the accounting department.
smile.gif

Wait until you get to 6/32" and they lose all traction, like mine did. Not good.

That was a very expensive 38,000 miles for me.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Wait until you get to 6/32" and they lose all traction, like mine did. Not good.

Where those the LT or P-Metrics versions?

Most MS/2 have 12/32 and LT's 13.5/32" tread, so you were on track to have completely bald tires before the 70K to-the-wear-bars mileage warranty. That, and from reading many reviews I'd say you were wearing your tires down roughly twice as fast as normal.

I would look for the reason for the fast wear.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Where those the LT or P-Metrics versions?

Most MS/2 have 12/32 and LT's 13.5/32" tread, so you were on track to have completely bald tires before the 70K to-the-wear-bars mileage warranty. That, and from reading many reviews I'd say you were wearing your tires down roughly twice as fast as normal.

I would look for the reason for the fast wear.

Since these regularly exceed 60k miles on 9000 pound service vans in our fleet I'd say something special was up.

We have gotten much farther on Silverados, most running 265/70/17 LTX MS2's.

I have heard from two people on this board about sets going out to 100k miles!

As they say: "YMMV!"

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
As they say: "YMMV!"

Quite literally!

I was pleased with a set of the original LTX M/S that was on my '95 Nissan hardbody when I bought it. I had no idea how many miles were on the tires, but I put another 20k on them and sustained about 2/32" of wear. If I bought them new and drove them until legally gone, I'd have gotten an honest 100k miles out of them (they started at 13/32" in that 30x9.50R15 size as I recall).

I consider those to be the best tires I've ever owned, regardless of tire type (light truck, car, etc). They were 6 years old by the DOT code when I bought the truck, there was absolutely no sidewall cracking, they were smooth and quiet even on broken pavement, stuck well to nearly any type of surface, and wore like iron. Just truly fantastic tires.

We've owned at least five sets of the M/S and M/S2's now and all have been excellent. We finally replaced the set from our Expedition this past winter as we weren't comfortable with the remaining tread depth for the upcoming snow fall. They had been in service since around 165,000Km, and were changed at around the 265,000Km mark, so roughly 100,000Km (60K miles) IIRC. They were not down to the wear-bars yet, but their snow performance would probably not have been acceptable, hence the change-out.

These were the P-Metric versions as well, BTW. Both Expeditions (our 2002 and my parent's 2000) are currently sporting the M/S2, which we find fantastic in snow, ice....etc.

Well, I can give you guys all sorts of information, as I have it on a spreadsheet. But the bottom line is that the tires sucked...

Installed 12/2007 @ 44000 miles.
Alignment 3/2008 @ 46600 miles.
Rotated 3/2008 @ 46700 miles.
Rotated 4/2009 @ 53000 miles.
Rotated 12/2009 @ 57000 miles.
Rotated 5/2010 @ 60000 miles.
Rotated 12/2010 @ 63300 miles.
Rotated 8/2011 @ 66800 miles.
Rotated 10/2012 @ 72200 miles.
Rotated 4/2013 @ 75500 miles.
Removed 3/2014 @ 81200 miles. 6/32" of tread remaining and after suffering through a winter with zero traction.

As I look back, it sure wasn't from a lack of rotations, that's for sure.

These were on a 2004 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab, 2 wheel drive, with a 5.3 liter V8.

Not abused...

IMG_20140222_111905_3532_zpse7c2d784.jpg

^^^May have been all that handling!

Seriously, my personal fleet truck is an 05 Siverado 5.3, and it will only get two rotations across the life of the tires.

Last set went nearly 70k miles. Still had enough tread that one of my employees fitted them to a truck he had.

Since the LTX MS2's get such universally great reviews I'll have to chalk up the bad experiences to random stuff. I buy a ton of tires here and I only want the longest lasting safest ones I can get.

The day that is not Michelin I will change...

As I look back, it sure wasn't from a lack of rotations, that's for sure.

It sure looks like you can't blame it on the vehicle. The only variable in your case that may be out of the norm is the low miles/year. You owned them for 75 months and put 37,200 miles on them...or only 500 miles/month. Still, the tires certainly shouldn't have hardened enough to render them useless.

I dunno. I hate that they didn't work out for you.

I have the Costco version on my 2003 Silverado and drove 3200 miles on them last week. Most notable was their resistance to hydroplaning in flash flooding type downpours. Only noticeable wear in 9K miles is on outside tread blocks on front tires.

I didn't realize that I had rotated them so often, until I pulled it together for that post. I babied those tires, and they still took a dump on me. The tires were less than 3 months old when they were installed. Sam's special ordered the set for me.

This is my "nice" truck, I will usually grab the Sierra to do the dirty work with.

Unlike others, I didn't have any problems with cracking or dry rot... as this truck sits in the shed when it isn't being used.

That stinks. Your experience is in the minority with these tires, but I know that doesn't make it any less frustrating. I've had poor experiences with "good" products before, too. It's no fun.

Years ago we put a set of these on my wife's Grand Cherokee. Coming up to another winter after 85k miles we decided to replace them-they would have been fine yet for summer driving. Quite surprised to see they were still made, so bought another set and after about 20k miles now all is good. It's been rare for me to find a product that does well and find the same still available years later. Dan Mpls. Mn.

The November issue of Consumer Reports tests light truck and SUV tires.

Not surprisingly, Michelin consistently ranks near or at the top of each category.

Buy the best and cry once.
wink.gif

Michelin should call them R&P (Rain & Pavement) instead of M&S.
Only got 43K out of mine on my 2500 HD. Rotated every 4K and proper alignment.
First week I had them I got stuck on an airstrip which I had never been stuck on before. They do not self clean. All total I have been stuck 5X even in 4 wheel drive (2X) . Where I never had any problems with Goodyear Wrangler Pro grade with Silent Amour
I am ordering a set of the Goodyear Adventure which replaces the Pro grade on Monday (DTD).
BTW Sears where I bought the tires wouldn't even pro rate them.
DTD said they will be able to help.

On the other hand the Michelin Defenders are fantastic on my JSW, So good that when I trade my 2012 Jetta sedan in for the wagon I had them swap tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back