New Yokohama Ice Guard iG52c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have been looking for winter tires for my suby and I was pretty well set on Michelin X Ice since they are considerd LRR. Tire Rack and Michelin themselves have either a 50 or 70$ MIR but they are out of stock until the end of October and the current rebate expires at the end of Sept.
I noticed there is another new winter tire from Yokohama which is also considered LRR. I have not seen many reviews on any Yokohama winter tires and I understand that these are new but if anyone has any input on this model or maybe a subsequent model it would be greatly appreciated.

For winter use, do we really care about LRR? I don't put a set of winter tires on in hopes of squeezing the best MPG on when it's 20 degrees and snowing. That was the least of concern when I was shopping. I didn't know LRR existed in winter tires.

Agreed. LRR would be the last thing I'd be looking at when shopping for winter tires, but I guess some people do take it into account.

As for that particular Yoko tire, I'd be hesitant to buy it just because it's so new and there are no reviews or tests of it yet. Why would you risk buying something unknown just to qualify for a rebate?

I have not checked with Tire Rack yet but I plan to. As for LRR in a winter tire im a believer as the Michelin Xice Xi3 is usually placed at the top or right near the top in all winter tire tests and it is an LRR tire.

I have had winter tyre on my Impreza's since 2002.

2002 to 2012 Toyo Snow Proxies that were great.

I bought a three year old set of Yokohama Iceguards late 2013 and used them last winter in snowey Aberdeenshire.

They were very good.

I did not notice any difference in fuel consumption.

eddie

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...2C?#Post3239341
Here's what I thought of them last winter. They are my first set of ice tires, and I came from super skinny goodyear Nordics on my Neon which I think were exceptional snow tires.
I have no issues with the iG52's on public roads, but I kind of miss the raw snow grip of the Nordics for my driveway when we've had 6"+ of wet snow over the day, but I suspect every ice tire would be the same as the yokohamas.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Agreed. LRR would be the last thing I'd be looking at when shopping for winter tires, but I guess some people do take it into account.

As for that particular Yoko tire, I'd be hesitant to buy it just because it's so new and there are no reviews or tests of it yet. Why would you risk buying something unknown just to qualify for a rebate?

Given winter tires run some like 85% of drive time on wet or dry pavement it is something to consider IMHO along with noise, dry handling and wet handling.

Just got my Goodyear Ultra Grip 8 delivered for the G in signature. Want me to take some pics of the tread for ya ??

Originally Posted By: bourne
Just got my Goodyear Ultra Grip 8 delivered for the G in signature. Want me to take some pics of the tread for ya ??

I've seen photos. Doesn't look as heavily siped as most winter tires. If I were to have seen a photo of the tread, I wouldn't have even guessed it was a winter tire. However, I'm guessing it was more a matter of the tread material than strictly the tread design.

Its fairly siped. The tread compound was quite soft ( it was 85F outside ). They are Made in Germany. I was deciding between those and Dunlop Winter Sport 4D. Each sipe has an internal locking structure which seem to allow the sipes to create a "crawling" action. Idk how they will turn out, but they seem to have gotten decent ratings in the past in Europe where they were released a couple of years ago. Only time and winter will tell.

Its fairly siped. The tread compound was quite soft ( it was 85F outside ). They are Made in Germany. I was deciding between those and Dunlop Winter Sport 4D. Each sipe has an internal locking structure which seem to allow the sipes to create a "crawling" action. Idk how they will turn out, but they seem to have gotten decent ratings in the past in Europe where they were released a couple of years ago. Only time and winter will tell.

Sorry. Was confusing that with the Ultra Grip Winter.

gy_ug_winter_ci2_l.jpg

Ill take some pics at work tomorrow. Will have them up by tomorrow evening. Tread is quite deep, made to bite into the snow.

Ill take some pics at work tomorrow. Will have them up by tomorrow evening. Tread is quite deep, made to bite into the snow.

There are lots of pictures available, including some that show them in snow (no vehicle though). However, it's kind of confusing as there's an UltraGrip 8 sold in Europe, and some other tire called the UltraGrip 8 Performance sold in the US.

This is the European tire:

Goodyear-UltraGrip-8-tyre.jpg
goodyear.jpg

And the UltraGrip 8 Performance:

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/ultra-grip-8-performance

Ultra_Grip_8_Performance_5454.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back