Wix vs Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.

gj

i recently went from purolater to wix. my hyundai had a cold start up knock that went away after a few seconds with all other filters i've used including purolator. with the wix filter the knocking noise is all but gone.but i also used trop artic for the first time,and an additive called xentx.i would say it's the filter but can't be sure.

Just got filter efficiency ratings for the Purolator Premium Plus,Pure one and Wix filters for my Dodge Ram. The efficiency of the Wix filter is horrible compared to the Premium Plus let alone the Pure One.
Wix 51085- 50% @ 15 microns
95% @ 28 microns
98.67 @ 34 microns
Premium Plus- 60% @ 10 microns
85% @ 20 microns
96% @ 30 microns

Seems to me that the Wix isn't worth the extra money over the P.P. with ratings like this. Is there something else to these filters that would make paying $5.50 instead of <$3.00 worth it?

The only advantages of Wix over Purolator P.P. that I see is the very nice threaded-end bypass valve and the silicone anti-drainback valve. IMHO the value of those features sort of depends on your car and the weather. (Assumption is that oil bypass only occurs on cold winter starts.)

In general, I am using Wix in winter and other brands (including Purolator) other times.

Not all Wix filters have the same efficiencies. You might find that an oversize filter does better.

I've completely cured my Hyundai startup knock by using Hyundai OEM filters. Even the Pure Ones (and Wix) gave me some noise. Mine is a 02 Sonata v6.

As for Wix vs. Purolator, if you don't get startup noises, go with Purolator. It is less expensive.

yea id like to know where you got the efficency information...wix is pretty tight lipped usually with me and finding that data..i call them about once a month on customer concerns and its hard to get that data out of them..and the place i work (napa corporate) is in good terms with wix..half the the time when you do call thier customer care line they operator doesnt have a clue about beta ratio's or even any type of efficency..

do you have any hard proff of that data or just someone saying that..would like to see a copy of it from wix themselves...

Sorry for the hijacking, but this saves me starting my own topic.
For the money, Purolator Pure1 is cheaper than Wix?
I've got family going to Fla next week and they will be stocking me up, since they're too expensive here in Canada.

just remember people..i can get napa/wix gold and also the pro selects for way cheaper that what you guys can get them for in the stores or on the net..prices right around the $3 mark for golds..and if bought in case lots shipped to the USA for free

quote:

yea id like to know where you got the efficency information...wix is pretty tight lipped usually with me and finding that data..i call them about once a month on customer concerns and its hard to get that data out of them..

Wix

They just recently added the beta numbers to most of their filter info.
 -

This shows the Beta 2/20 = 19/41

Beta 2 (50%)= 19um
Beta 20(95%)= 41um

For anyone who doesn't know the format:

Beta = the beta number - (minus) 1 / beta number

So a Beta 2 = 1/2 = 50%
So a Beta 20= 19/20=95%

So Beta 2 = 19 means 50% of the 19um particles are captured in their test
Beta 20 = 41 means 95% of the 41um particles are captured in their test.

All you have to do is e-mail them and they'll give you any info you want. I've never been turned down by any company. They do request the model number in ? , though.

So then definitely go with the Pure1's?
Ok, will do!
They're atleast $10 here in Canada. I got 2 last May when I was in Fla and got a rebate.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back