Fluid Film: aerosol vs sprayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like the gallon can is thicker, which means it might last a bit longer. Does it? I try to touch up stuff whenever I am on/under the cars, and the spray cans are great for that--but it is about time to douse the vehicles for winter and I do need to order more of something. I don't have a sprayer but I do have a compressor. I think I used about 12 cans over the last 12 months, but I could stand to touch up a bit more often.

I use the aerosol can with the straw to just spray all over in the doors through the drain holes in the bottom.

I do it in the summer when it is really hot so it creeps everywhere evenly for the salty roads in the Winter.

I do this every 2 years just to help the car get to the 10 year mark or beyond.

I believe the Gallon Can of Fluid Film is thicker than the Aerosol Can.
Might last a little longer. Depends how thick it goes on.
What's most effective is a thin coat applied once a year.

I have been using Fluid Film for the last 5 years.
Previously, I was having vehicle sprayed at a local Collision Shop that sprayed some oily material on and it was quite thick (but still creped).

Now with my vehicle being 12 years old, and to save some money, I will check it in Fall and only spray any (lightly) rusted areas.

That stuff sprayed by the Collision Shop is probably still under there in areas.
I can't touch anything without getting all greasy.

I always thought of buying an Electric Paint Sprayer and buying Fluid Film in the gallon can.
Check with Kellersport (I believe), they may recommend a paint sprayer for FF

The problem with brushing FF on is that if it is stirred or brushed on, it will thin out and run. After a few minutes, it will thicken back up.
There is a scientific name for that.

I just saw a 5 gallon can of FF on E-Bay for $150.00 / Free Shipping

Edit: Kellersport (or something like that) sell FF on E-bay

Edit: I also like the flexible tube that "atomizes" FF from aerosol cans.
Well worth the money.

Last edited:
I would go to Amazon and look up undercoating spray guns and there are some there for under $30. It does not have to be precise like it would if it were spraying paint. Since you have a compressor.

I would consider CarWell. I believe it lasts longer than FF.

Also you will not really get into the door and body cavities without a long spray wand. The guys at the CarWell shop in Dolgerville NY have a wand they use that looks to be 3' long.

McMaster Carr seemed to have the best prices, $6.51 a spray can. Not sure on shipping. See on 12055K74, it is FF, bought it from there last year.

For you guys ordering the spray cans online, check your local O'Reillys. Mine has them in stock and I think the price was around $5.99 or $6.99 a can. I would imagine they could order you a case of cans or buckets if needed.

The Fluid Film gun is calibrated for the thickness of FF,using anything else will result in a mess and waste of product.

I've always rattle-canned FF onto both cars. Likely a spray-on gallon would last longer, and be easier on the fingers.

Bumping my own thread, as I spent a few minutes figuring what/where I was ordering.

Quote:
There are several different Fluid Film formula's. Fluid Film "NAS" is the most popular formula. "NAS" is used for auto undercoating, general lubrication, and rust preventing applications. When Fluid Film "NAS" is packaged in aerosol cans, it becomes Fluid Film "AS". So if you have used Fluid Film in the spray can, and want it in bulk (gallons, pails, etc), you would buy the Fluid Film "NAS" products.

Quote:
Note: Fluid Film NAS is the recommended product for auto & truck undercoating spray to stop rust & corrosion.

Don't know how I missed that from before, but it does jive with my impression: the spray can is thinner, and washes off quicker. Well, I haven't bought the thicker stuff yet, but it makes sense. It's not that hard to spray on some from the can every so often, but it does disappear real fast it seems.

McMaster-Carr is still about the cheapest place to get a case of it. 12 cans for $6.51 each; a quick look and it seems like $13 to ship. This Ebay seller is about the same price, but uses Paypal for payments.

Hmm, with that new info I think I have to try the gallon can this time. I might still buy a case of spray cans though.

The redneck way we've done it is a cheap Harbor Freight paint gun and heating it up. We put the whole gallon in a fire for a few and it thins it out substantially, put in the guns, and spray. It will then cool down to the original consistency after sprayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back