Chevy 5.3 Plug wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Changed out my plugs yesterday to NGK Iridiums. I didn't do my wires, as my vehicle only has 70k on it currently.

At what mileage are you typically changing out your wire set?

Also, what are your recommendations? I've been reading to avoid the MSD brand. Delphi, AC Delco, Bosch, Denso?

Thanks.

I changed the wires with my plugs. I used AC/Delco wires and AC/Delco NGK made plugs. I suggest sticking to OEM parts when it comes to plugs and wires. The wires and plugs I changed were the originals with 145,000 miles on them.

Last edited:
AC Delco all the way on a 5.3, plugs and wires.

With the coils on the covers, you should be able to get 100K + out a set of wires.

I'll be doing the plugs sooner than GM says, as they do slowly loose efficiency before they become a problem.

AC Delcos number 1 for Gms stick with them. I have had good luck with Beldens from Napa also. Always AC Delco plugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Delphi, AC Delco, Bosch, Denso are all very good, i have used all of them and been happy with them.
Some people will disagree with me on this but i swap them out with the plugs on many modern engines.
Some of them are very difficult to get off some to the point of having to cut the boots, even removing them properly by only pulling on the boot may cause unseen internal damage to the non metallic core at the connection.

If access is easy and they come right off then sure leave them but on something like some transverse V6 that are a real bear i swap them with one of the brands you mention.
No idea about MDS wires, i never used them. I tend to stay will names i know do the job well.

Watch out, there were two different part numbers for the wires on my 2004 5.3...

I used both ACDelco plugs and wires.

The only way to fly with plug wires, new or old, is to test the resistance, and compare to spec.

My new Delco wires all tested at 8,000-9,000, which is ridiculous, and my Wagon runs so much better since I tossed those, and replaced them with stainless steel marine wires, which tested at between 900-1100.

Never checked MSD wires, but Taylor wires generally ohm to around 240-300, and Granatelli wires at less than 100. If they weren't always on a 6 week backorder, I'd have those already. Oh well, one day soon.

Good call on the NGK's. The Delco plugs are not what they used to be, and my engine runs alot better with both Delco products gone from my engine bay.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Good call on the NGK's. The Delco plugs are not what they used to be, and my engine runs alot better with both Delco products gone from my engine bay.

And the Delco plugs were probably made by NGK anyway...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Yep, the ones I bought were made by NGK.

. . . Good call on the NGK's. The Delco plugs are not what they used to be, and my engine runs alot better with both Delco products gone from my engine bay.

You know that quite a few AC plugs are re-branded NGKs.

As far as the wire resistance goes, that would be more meaningful 40 years ago on a breaker ignition. But on a modern high energy/HV system, particularly a short-lead distributorless one, those higher values don't make all that much of a difference. Terminal connection integrity and internal plug resistance usually play a bigger role in those systems.

Mine were definitely not made by NGK. I checked.

The day that the manufacturers stop listing a resistance spec for plug wires, I'll stop checking them to see if they match spec.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Changed out my plugs yesterday to NGK Iridiums. I didn't do my wires, as my vehicle only has 70k on it currently.

At what mileage are you typically changing out your wire set?

Also, what are your recommendations? I've been reading to avoid the MSD brand. Delphi, AC Delco, Bosch, Denso?

Thanks.

At the same time I change the plugs. Sometimes pulling the boot off the plug weakens the connection point. I use OEM since I only change them once every few years. The OEM's seem to far outlast most aftermarket wires unless you spend big $$

AC Delco's i've seen are usually NGK, but I've seen a few denso brand stamped on them too.
Nice to know AC Delco uses a quality mfgr!

When I redid my saturn relay, I went with the AC Delco plugs, but went with Denso wires. the AC Delco wires were grossly overpriced and I know they didn't make them anyway.
I could have easily left them on, but it wasn't worth the hassle of having one go bad down the road, as I don't intend to do another plug change on the van.

On my S10, I have champion plugs and MSD wires. It runs perfect, like stock. When it comes time for new plugs, I'm going with AC Delcos.

AC Delco iridium plugs are the way to go on the 5.3. All the iridium Delco plugs I've seen are made by NGK or Denso (I think they are re-badged NGK Laser Iridium).

I like the MSD superconductor 8.5mm wires. (IIRC, these are about 300 ohms per foot). Cover them up with some wire loom, use silicone grease generously on the boots, and they'll last a long, long time. (Just don't use these MSD wires with non-resistor plugs. Tried that once. Not a good idea.)

I like to change out the factory wires the first time I change plugs, then after that change the wires every other time I change plugs.

Last edited:
. . . The day that the manufacturers stop listing a resistance spec for plug wires, I'll stop checking them to see if they match spec.

Not trying to bust your chomps, but many modern ignition systems are designed around higher resistance secondaries.

4-7k ohms/ft is perfectly normal and by design for secondary cables in a modern GM HE ignition system.

If you go too low on the cable resistance, besides defeating their RF suppression, you can damage some ignition coils.

Again, on a HE distributorless system, with secondary wires under a foot, whether it's measuring 5kohms or 9kohms makes no meaningful difference.

I'd reserve the very low resistance ignition cables for coils designed for them.

Yes, NGK makes plugs for AC Delco now. AC Delco puts their name on them; thus 1 in the same..

Interesting that my original Platinum plugs actually said 'AC Delco and NGK' on them.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Volvohead
. . . The day that the manufacturers stop listing a resistance spec for plug wires, I'll stop checking them to see if they match spec.

Not trying to bust your chomps, but many modern ignition systems are designed around higher resistance secondaries.

4-7k ohms/ft is perfectly normal and by design for secondary cables in a modern GM HE ignition system.

If you go too low on the cable resistance, besides defeating their RF suppression, you can damage some ignition coils.

Again, on a HE distributorless system, with secondary wires under a foot, whether it's measuring 5kohms or 9kohms makes no meaningful difference.

I'd reserve the very low resistance ignition cables for coils designed for them.

1. Nobody I ever heard of is making low resistance plug wires for street cars that have caused any of the problems that you just described. Taylor wires are at 50 ohms per foot, no problems. GMS wires are at less than 5 ohms per foot, no problems.

2. Designed for them or not, dyno testing by manufacturers, mags, and personal users have shown low resistance wires create more horsepower and better drivability. Doesn't make a million horsepower more, but the difference is there. And yes, this has been proven on modern LS based V8 engines.

Now let's go through the checklist:

Easier starting: Check
Better fuel economy: Check
More power: Check

Theories are all well and good, but real world results trump them every time. Wire wound conductors are nothing new to the modern world of ignition systems, and they do the job well.

And just for reference, since this seems to keep coming up again and again; certain Delco plugs are made by NGK, others are made by Autolite, and some are still leftover Delphi units.

I still have a few of the old plugs around, which I was using to disprove the myth that SeaFoam will absolutely foul your plugs (it didn't), and these particular Delcos were actually Autolites, as NGK apparently took on the load of the higher end stuff, while leaving the lower end stuff to Autolite.

I'm still glad I got my plugs from NGK rather than Delco. I would have payed more money for the same product.

I use the MSD wires - great quality so not sure where the bad reviews of them came from. I run them on some of my other vehicles too.

You should have changed the wires at the same time as the plugs since it's not a job often done and also you may have damaged them removing and reinstalling them. I may be in the miniority here but I always do plugs and wires at the same time. It's like changing the oil and reusing the old filter to me.

My Sierra Denali 6.0L has been doing great on MSD wires and Autolite Iridium XP's. The old belief that only AC Delco should be used is no longer valid. AC Delco just rebrands parts including spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back