Just bought an '09 Camry, any good forums ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a forum for all my cars. I may as well find one for the Camry. It is my first car made in the new millennium. Also my first FWD with a side wise engine. I call it a transportation appliance.

LOL my friend has an older one and calls it his washing machine.

I haven't found a good Camry forum. I plan on getting my info here.

09, that has the 2.4, no? Or is it the 2.5?

I find on mine the rear pads need freeing up at least once a year, if not twice. Also the steel wheels like to stick to the rotors. Jack points seem to be few. Finally, on the oil filter I don't do the drain thing, I just use the wrench and remove the whole thing. It may be that the drain bit is stuck on good and tight, and you won't need the wrench adapter, and a 3/8 extension will remove the canister.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I have a forum for all my cars. I may as well find one for the Camry. It is my first car made in the new millennium. Also my first FWD with a side wise engine. I call it a transportation appliance.

Try Toyotanation.com or camryforums.com.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: andyd

Try Toyotanation.com or camryforums.com.

Regards, JC.

+1

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Not sure if you'll find one. Most people who have a Camry despise driving...
I think they just despise wrenching .

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Not sure if you'll find one. Most people who have a Camry despise driving...
I think they just despise wrenching .

Yes. Yes I do. I need two vehicles that go, so I can go about work eat sleep and raise kids.

Hello, Toyotanation is where I've found info for my friends' Toys.
One's a 1996 Corolla and the other is a 2003 Camry.
I don't have any idea of the limitations or strengths of the website really.
Good info so far though. Kira

As a mod at Toyotanation I can vouch for its worth...

...very friendly and patient to newbs (engineers and non-engineers alike) who ask all sorts of questions...

My 2011 4cl camry is at 91K without incident. It's not sexy but it seems to be like the old Timex watches. The only thing I am going to do maintenance besides tires at this time is struts. No fluids added ever, just oil changes at 10k intervals like the manual recommends. Solid car, you will enjoy not working on it.

Its not really an enthusiast car, so if you do fine one it will probably be full of kids asking about wheels and wings.

Originally Posted By: Tdog02
My 2011 4cl camry is at 91K without incident. .... No fluids added ever, just oil changes at 10k intervals like the manual recommends.

You should...
1. drain/fill coolant every 3 years
2. drain/fill A/T fluid @ 60k and every 30-40k miles thereafter
3. flush power steering fluid every 60k miles
4. bleed and replenish brake fluid every 100k miles

Attitudes like this...
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Well it is an appliance ... that will last forever.

are why cars self-destruct...neglect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
I thought Toyota used 5yr/100k coolant?

It costs $30 to drain/fill a couple of gallons....100k/5years?....I have a bridge for sale if you're interested.

Seems like it was $20 a gallon last time I bought coolant from the dealer.

I get the point, it's cheap; but word on my VW was that the fluid... was for all intents good for the distance. Toss in the fluid loss during timing belt changes and the 1/2 flush every 80-100kmiles and it would be good enough. Hence the question. I know Toyota fluid and VW fluid isn't the same, but still.

NAPA sells Zerex 50/50 coolant for the Camry (+ import vehicles, Toyota, Honda....) for $15 that's fully compatible with Toyo's "blend"

1B42DF7C-AC71-4ABE-9E81-95F26A93B660-1643-000000F46628B00C.jpg

Too many people confuse Toyota's "super long-life" with "life-time"...same goes for AT/PS/brake fluids...

IMG_4576.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Too many people confuse Toyota's "super long-life" with "life-time"...same goes for AT/PS/brake fluids...

Nobody here said that it was a "lifetime" coolant. Just that it should be good for its stated life of 5 years or 100,000 miles. It won't hurt to change the coolant every 3 years, but it's probably not necessary either.

I personally do mine every 50k. At the rate at which we drive our cars, 50k miles is ~about~ 5 years, give or take 6 months either way (usually early rather than late).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back