Republic Wireless Cell Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched from Verizon to Republic February of this year and I have not regretted it for a second. It uses Sprints towers for cell calls and data which has pretty good coverage in our area. The VOIP functionality has been flawless. For the price, I really don't think there is a better deal out there. I used to pay $120/mo. to Verizon and now I pay $50 for 2 phones COMBINED, which is almost unbelievable.

If you switch, PM me for a referral. It is good for a bill credit for both you and me.

I had RW most of last year. When you have a signal, it can be excellent. The phone at that time was pretty poor - the Motorola Defy XT - but CyanogenMod & Cyanide made it quite a lot less painful. Wifi VOIP was highly dependant on the quality of service, obviously, but it was downright difficult to handle the cell-to-wifi handoff well at the time.

I would likely give it another shot, the new phones seem to be a huge step forward and frankly anything that can give Big Cell a disruptive change is for the better IMO.

I've had Republic for about 2 years now. I have a dedicated Verizon voice-only flip phone that I also carry.

The Defy XT is a slow phone, runs an old Android, and has very limited memory. The newer phones should be better, but the plans become more expensive. I pay $19/month for unlimited everything.

In the Boston metropolis, Sprint is great, but once you head into the rest of New England, good luck getting a signal. It feels like unreliable dial-up in many places, and don't even dream of receiving a call when the service is spotty like that.

For me, it's a "nice-to-have" internet device, but not a primary cell phone.

I should mention that the Moto X & G phones are now available through Republic and are fully featured phones that review well. Whatever you do, don't get the Defy XT (if it is even still available).

the defy XT isnt available or supported.

The moto X works very well

the moto g has some pains with the latest android update but otherwise works well.

I've had RW for 6 months, no complaints at all. $10 per month is 60 bucks less that I was paying Verizon.

Fyi: they will soon have the motorola moto E phone for 99$ no contract..for those that $$$ is more important than advanced smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back