Mann W 930/21 (Cut Open)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I tried a couple of times to cut open my Fram labeled W930/21s with a hacksaw and failed miserably. That is one tough can on those filters.

Thanks for posting so I can finally see the innards of these great filters. I'm just sad that Fram is making the PH8994 themselves now instead of contracting with Mann in Germany. I loved being able to get them at Fleet Farm for $4.37 each.

It was a nasty can to hack through. Built like a tank panzer.

Blains Farm & Fleet near me carries the Fram PH8994 for $6.99, versus $7.20 at Rock Auto for the Austrian made Mahle OC485 I used. Heck, this Mann W930/21 is only $8.50 from RA, which is a steal compared to a $7 "OCOD".

The downside of the PH8994 at Blain's is that it's now the orange can, and for all intents and purposes, identical to the STP S8994. I actually think it's the exact same filter with a different dress on.

I've got a Driveworks DW-L30257 on deck for the next change for test fitting purposes just to see if the W940/25 will fit on the 2.7. Not only does it have more filtering capability, it's also cheaper from RA than the 930/21. The Bosch 71299 is another one I was contemplating. I think the W940/25 was even less than $6 on RA last time I looked.

The downside of the PH8994 at Blain's is that it's now the orange can, and for all intents and purposes, identical to the STP S8994. I actually think it's the exact same filter with a different dress on.

Yes, it is. Not worth it at only $0.21 cheaper than the equivalent Mahle.

I've got a Driveworks DW-L30257 on deck for the next change for test fitting purposes just to see if the W940/25 will fit on the 2.7. Not only does it have more filtering capability, it's also cheaper from RA than the 930/21. The Bosch 71299 is another one I was contemplating. I think the W940/25 was even less than $6 on RA last time I looked.

Interesting substitution. The only discrepancy I found is from Mann's European website, it looks like the bypass valve opening pressure is higher on the 930/21 versus the 940/25 (3.0 bar versus 2.5 bar). If that difference is even meaningful. RA has the W940/25 for $4.87. That's crazy cheap.

And even 3 bar roughly triggs the by pass every time the oil 5w30 is below 100-120F ... If you have debries, it will scratch the engine. And that's why I put my still serviceable oils to settle at 5k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back