drill bits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to get a new set of drill bits. I hear that cobalt is a better bit than titantium coated. I'm not looking for high end machine shop quality, but i don't want junk either. I drill metal and plastic at times.

I've tried a bunch of different drill bits for my work. It includes a little bit of machine shop work on aluminum, steel, and stainless steel, plus lots of field work drilling mild steel and aluminum.

The "home store" drill bit sets are okay, though their TiN coated sets are not great compared to real industrial drills.

Here's an uncoated cobalt set I've been using for a few years. It's pretty good:
McMaster-Carr cobalt drill bit set

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I want to get a new set of drill bits. I hear that cobalt is a better bit than titantium coated. I'm not looking for high end machine shop quality, but i don't want junk either. I drill metal and plastic at times.

That's just it, unless they're machine shop quality, they never work for me; they literally do not cut steel. The only time I can get by with Lowes quality is if I'm going into wood.

What kind of bit do I need to drill tiny hole in to stainless steel flashlight? I have DeWalt Ti coated bit but it does not seem to make much dent on the stainless.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Cobalt M42 (8% cobalt) bits are the ones to get not the M35 (5%).
This is a decent set for not much $ for what you get. AFAIK Cleveland drill bits are still USA made.

Agreed, you want the M42 cobalt bits. Cleveland is a good brand and still made in USA, however, a few years back they were sold and are now owned by a Chinese parent company.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
What kind of bit do I need to drill tiny hole in to stainless steel flashlight? I have DeWalt Ti coated bit but it does not seem to make much dent on the stainless.

Cobalt is preferred but TiN coated HSS should work, however some stainless can work-harden if you're not pulling a chip and just rubbing. I suppose the forming process of making the flashlight could work-harden it as well. Be sure to use sharp tools and feed it enough to cut a chip.

While on this subject, what is the proper cutting oil to use? I have used mmo, but i don't know what is in a true cutting oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back