Radiator Cooling Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently noticed Coolant Temp on Scan Gage to be 5 to 10 degrees warmer than usual when running at 65 mph. Increases when in slow traffic. When engine is shut off it climbs to 215 or more. Observed fan not running when engine temp was 206. Is it the fan or the controller?

2009 Ford Edge

Last edited:
1. check coolant level in overflow tank and rad (when cool)
2. you have a temp sensor, relay and then a timer module

run a/c for now to cool car rad, it will force air through rad.

Could be either. You might try turning on the AC to see if the fan comes on, if it doesn't you'll have to try putting voltage to the fan. If it runs it's the controller.

You could also check voltage either side of the controller.

(also to get the best help, post up what vehicle you have)

The A/C fan runs with the A/C on. The other fan does not run with the coolant temp at 210.
The 60A fuse under the hood is good.

when is it supposed to kick on?
I thought some chevys didn't cycle it until nearly 225F

You need to find out what temp the fan is supposed to kick on. I've owned cars that the fan was not programmed to turn on until temps were 215-220 degrees.

Check your water pump and the plastic junk (air dams) under the rad. And see if you sucked up a shopping bag or other junk in front of it.

Originally Posted By: ukmastermind
True, every car cycles the cooling fan at different temps

Nissan: 209
BMW: 227
Ford: 200 (Crwn Vic)

Now sure what year Crown Vic that is, but on mine 212 F was when the fan kicked in if the AC wasn't engaged. After my tune and 180 F thermostat, I had it dropped to 202 F.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Originally Posted By: ukmastermind
True, every car cycles the cooling fan at different temps

Nissan: 209
BMW: 227
Ford: 200 (Crwn Vic)

Now sure what year Crown Vic that is, but on mine 212 F was when the fan kicked in if the AC wasn't engaged. After my tune and 180 F thermostat, I had it dropped to 202 F.

The later ones with PWM fan turn it on earlier but at a low speed. It ramps up as the engine gets hotter.
I would imagine a '09 Edge also has a PWM fan. The PWM controller is known to fail, but I would verify its actually not working.
The fact that its doing it at 65mph tells me it might not be the fan. Typically the fan shuts off above about 40-50 mph as having the fan running above that speed will hurt cooling rather than help it.
The temperature increasing when shutoff is not surpirsing because once the coolant stops flowing the heat builds up in the engine for about 15 minutes before beginning to cool.
I would try putting a radiator cap on it. Ive had a couple of instances where out of nowhere the car began running hot and putting a radiator cap on it fixes the issue.

2009 ford Edge I took the air box out to get at the thermostat that operates the fan. Checked it with a meter, it checks out fine. Reinstalled it and the air box and started the engine, coolant temp about 150. Initially the fan did not run, but I coaxed it and it did run slowly, probably due to the low temperature. The A/C was on and that fan runs at high speed. I'll do some more investigating in the days to come.

Thanks for the ideas, any more would be appreciated. :)

Thermostat?
Do you have a pic or something of this part? What did you do to coax it? If its a PWM fan it will initially run slowly then the PCM will ramp it to a higher speed as more cooling is needed.

Sometimes these fans have two speeds. Usually high speed whenever the A/C is on and then low speed at around 210F or so with the A/C off.

I looked into this a bit and there is a TSB out on them for lack of A/C or Overheating
TSB 11-7-21
I haven't actually read it because the only place that seems to have it wants me to pay money to read it. Has to do with the fans failing. Seems to be from reading forum posts the fans short out and this takes out the PWM controller so the whole assembly has to be replaced for $800.
I still doubt its the fans simply because of the fact its running hotter at highway speed. The fans turn off at that speed anyway so...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Sometimes these fans have two speeds. Usually high speed whenever the A/C is on and then low speed at around 210F or so with the A/C off.

The fans are controlled by a PWM controller. This allows the PCM to control the speed of the fan from low to high and anywhere in between.

Last edited:
The hot running at speed says to me that your problem goes beyond the fan issue. Regardless of whether the fan operates at that speed, at 65mph, there's more air coming through the radiator than the fan could ever hope to motivate. I'd check the cooling system itself. Check the belt, and also dismount the belt and check the water pump shaft.

I've seen plenty of cars that had a water pump shaft that could be shifted like a transmission, and made no noise, and did not leak, but had enough resistance to cause slow operation at all speeds, causing hotter running.

I drove the Edge on Sunday and the temp stayed between 191 to 193. Drove it again on Monday and temp was between 197on highway and 213 in town traffic. Ordered new fans for $136 with free shipping from e-Bay. Ford Edge forum has a 30 minute replacement procedure without removing the upper radiator hose.

Actually, the first thing I would inspect would be the condition of the radiator itself, to see if the fins are plugged up with crud, or dented/damaged. If air can't flow through it, it can't cool the coolant.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back