Remove studs from winter tires???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good or bad? I'm in the process of picking up yet another awesome Craiglist tire score; almost brand new Hankook w409 studded I Pikes and factory wheels that are mint. The last set of Alitmax Arctics I had were studded as well and although they are amazing in hard packed and icy conditions, I think they sucked on dry roads. noisy, harsh, [censored] handling etc. I'm thinking of ripping the studs out of these new tires. Thoughts? Will the better dry road characteristics not be worth the sacrifice in snow/ice conditions? Thanks!

you wont gain much, you will lose ice and hard pack traction, I'd leave them alone if you can live with the noise.. the previous owner probably paid 10-15$ a tire for those studs

Personally, I wouldn't pull the studs. I sometimes wish I could actually use them here (illegal in MN). That being said, I've owned the W409's (unstudded) and liked them. Worked well in loose snow, deep snow, and slush. Predictable in hardpack/ice conditions.

The problem with removing the studs is there is no going back without getting another set of tires... I'd hate to find out it was a mistake to take them out...

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Personally, I wouldn't pull the studs. I sometimes wish I could actually use them here (illegal in MN). That being said, I've owned the W409's (unstudded) and liked them. Worked well in loose snow, deep snow, and slush. Predictable in hardpack/ice conditions.

The problem with removing the studs is there is no going back without getting another set of tires... I'd hate to find out it was a mistake to take them out...

Apparently OK for visitors, although I'm not sure about how you get there unless the car is transported on a flatbed. Apparently the only surrounding state where studs are legal is Iowa, although the others may have regulations for temporary visitors.

Quote:
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.72

Subd. 4.Occasional use of studded tires by nonresidents.

Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision 1, a person, operating a motor vehicle properly licensed and registered in another state or province of a foreign country which authorizes the use of tires with metal studs or wire embedded tires on its highways, may operate the motor vehicle with tires having metal type studs or with tires having wire embedded therein on the highways of this state while occasionally within the state, and such use while occasionally within the state is not unlawful; provided that, the metal type studs shall not exceed 5/16 of an inch in diameter inclusive of the stud casing with an average protrusion beyond the tread surface of not more than 7/64 of an inch, and the number of studs in a tire shall not exceed two percent of the total net contact area. Use of a vehicle in this state on more than 30 days in any consecutive six-month period is not occasionally. Except, a person whose regular place of employment is within the state or who is a student at an educational institution located within the state, shall not operate a vehicle, regardless of its place of registration, upon any highway within the state if such vehicle is equipped with tires which would be unauthorized were the vehicle registered in this state.

Studs are legal six months out of the year ANYWHERE in California. It can be extended if the California Highway Patrol Commissioner decides to do it.

However, studs really only help with ice. They might actually reduce traction if it's dry or on well-plowed roads with only a dusting of snow.

Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
I have no experience with studded tires but, why can't you just pull some and leave a few in?...

The few that are left in will likely wear out very quickly.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
I have no experience with studded tires but, why can't you just pull some and leave a few in?...

The few that are left in will likely wear out very quickly.

I'm thinking the amount of wear doesn't really depend on the total number of studs in the tire. Each stud should wear the same regardless of whether or not there are dozens of studs or just one.

I'd leave em in.. you buy tires for the worst conditions not the best.

That being said if you cant live with it.. pull em..but you cant put em back later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back