Oil consumption observation 2012 Acura TL 3.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had similar experiences, I can take a 3k mile trip and consume no oil, or drive around town for a couple weeks and use a quart. This is in two of my cars.

My thought is that cruising on the highway, the engine is at a steady state, low power, steady temp operation. Around town I redline it many times a day and lots of accel and decel. Higher load, higher rpm and higher vacuum.

When I do a track day I can use a quart in a few hundred miles...

engine braking(vacuum) is causing the consumption. There is almost no engine braking on the highway since you are at a constant rpm.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
Originally Posted By: rjundi
I have the very similar engine 07 MDX with 122k. It consumes around 1/2 quart every 7k-8k miles using 5w30 that my mechanic puts in. The Acura dealer oil change using likely proper 5w20 it consumed closer to 1 quart same OLM oci. Similar driving style.

I could be wrong but I think the 07 MDX has the 3.5L engine with cast iron cylinder sleeves. I did try one oil change of Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP (got a real good deal on it). No difference in oil usage.

The 2007-2013 MDX use a very similar J37(3.7L) motor.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
I have the very similar engine 07 MDX with 122k. It consumes around 1/2 quart every 7k-8k miles using 5w30 that my mechanic puts in. The Acura dealer oil change using likely proper 5w20 it consumed closer to 1 quart same OLM oci. Similar driving style.

I could be wrong but I think the 07 MDX has the 3.5L engine with cast iron cylinder sleeves. I did try one oil change of Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP (got a real good deal on it). No difference in oil usage.

The 2007-2013 MDX use a very similar J37(3.7L) motor.

Thanks for the correction. Is it a sleeved motor, though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back