Camcorders going out of use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: brandini
Originally Posted By: Subdued
I always found it really amusing that parents will record an entire show or whatever, and then always end up fast forwarding to the parts their kids are in when playing it back anyway

It's called reaction time, nobody wants to cut off half of the one line their kid has in the play.

I do t know. I was only in two plays but had leading roles in each.

My intent really doesn't matter. What matters is the basic discussion - I assume camcorders can record indefinitely and have gotten around the file size issues that still seem to affect DSLRs and P&S cameras. My use or artistic intent has no bearing on the discussion.

But IF cameras record and then instantly make a new movie file after a certain time, no biggie.

Also it is interesting that thermal management on the camera sensors appear to be a consideration as well.

From a quality standpoint the camcorder still is the only
way to go. The lenses are much higher quality, and allow manual settings for iris, and focus, which I don't believe you can find on any typical mass market consumer phone.

If you watch You Tube videos you know exactly what I mean, the quality of phone videos they are [censored], even the ones that offer higher resolution still look poor compared to an average camcorder.

I believe the 30 minute recording time limitation seen on many cameras is due to an EU rule/tariff on proper video cameras. That is, some higher tax or fee is assessed on devices that will film for more than 30 minutes vs. those that will not. So, in order to avoid the tax implications, some cameras are limited to 29 mins 59 seconds.

It is quite ridiculous considering the convergence of still and video camera. Nowadays they're just cameras. Look at something like the new Panasonic GH4 - it is every bit designed for video as it is for stills.

jeff

I heard the same as greenjp from a guy explaining all this stuff to me on a long plane ride. >30 mins means video equipment and some sort of tax.

My guess is there is no hardware limit as much as governor written in software to avoid the taxation.

Don't know whether that's true, but I wouldn't be surprised. Used to be hard to find camcorders in the EU that would record from external video inputs because the French then classed them as VCRs and the EU would impose a 20% tax to protect the French VCR industry. Which, I believe, no longer existed by the time I was buying camcorders there...

I'd buy another one if I shot much video any more, but these days I rarely do anything that I can't record on a tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back