Surely a head/head gasket problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend bought a car from a notorious store, I checked it and instantly noticed burned smell in expansion tank. There's also bubbling while revving warm engine.

Doesn't this sound like exhaust leak to coolant? Is any amount of bubbling acceptable while coolant cap is of and engine is warm?

Yes or cracked block/head. Use a block tester. http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-75500-Combustion-Leak-Detector/dp/B0007ZDRUI

Try returning the car. Even though used cars are nearly always sold "as is," if you bought from a merchant as opposed to a private party, you still have the implied warranty of merchantability in your favor, but may need to hire a lawyer... and mechanics are cheaper than lawyers, but still, depends on the car. I assume that a "notorious" store wouldn't take a car back unless compelled to.

According to local law the store has to compensate for "unexpected" fault's in their product, but I told that he should try push the car back to them.

It had new tyres too, I don't like it. Can't check if there is wheel alignment issues...

Get it in writing from a mechanic, preferably dealer, that this is trouble and show up at the selling dealer today and serve them notice.

IDK 1st thing about the laws in Finland but this is usually the best practice.

All that said, if you have a non pressurized overflow and are running at temp, the rad cap can be keeping things from boiling over so the coolant that escapes into the overflow hose flash-boils, turns to steam, and appears as bubbles in the liquid coolant. This is why it's good to have a good level of antifreeze in the overflow jug, it cools down this steam and keeps some from escaping.

On some cars this can be normal. VW with multiple hoses going into the beer ball tank bubble like crazy and even over flow with the cap off on a warm engine.
Was the coolant just changed or the cooling system serviced in some way like a timing belt and water pump? Pressure test the cooling system first.

If you have access to an exhaust gas analyzer it can detect exhaust in the coolant, just let it get an air sample from the top of the bottle.

Originally Posted By: Trav
On some cars this can be normal. VW with multiple hoses going into the beer ball tank bubble like crazy and even over flow with the cap off on a warm engine.

Good call, car is Audi with VW 1.6 8V BFQ engine. Must let the car cool down completely and test again.

Okay, now it has problem. Coolant light had came off and the end of the radiator showd signs of leaking. The mysterious part is, that the expansion tank had filled itself up while the car was standing for few days.

I have to buy that block tester suggested by Skid. Oh I hate those shady car dealers...

It does have a problem. And don't call me Shirley.
wink.gif

Sorry to hear your friend got burned.

A notorious car dealer here bought a 6.0 Escalade that was hemorrhaging coolant from the water pump. They were told, repeatedly, that it needed a water pump NOW. They decided stop leak was a better idea...because the customer who was buying it wanted to drive it to SC from AL the next day.
crazy2.gif

I don't know how far that Escalade went or what the ultimate outcome was, but I am sure it wasn't good.

Diagnose the problem before guessing. Take it to a reputable mechanic and have them pressure test the cooling system. If there's a blown gasket, it will force water into a cylinder, causing the car to pour white smoke from the tailpipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back