Tire Size on F150 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wanting to get Michelin LTX M/S2's on my '94 F150 4x4.
The door sticker states P265 75/15.
The M/S2's only come in P235 75/15.
The tire shop says that the 235 would drop the size down considerably.
He says that he thinks the better option is to go with the previous version of the LTX M/S (not the M/S2) in the size of 31x10.5R15LT.

So, I need some advice. First of all, I was on the fence about a P vs LT. In the end, either will work for what I do with this truck...so, I'm trying to remove that from the equation.

I have some old Goodyear's in the 31x10.5 on there right now (were on when I bought the truck). Looks aren't THAT important, but if the 235's really do drop me in size much, I'm thinking they might look tiny on this truck??

Also, the M/S2 is supposed to be a better tire than the previous (M/S) version. A little better tread life and grip.

The 31x10.5 would cost me $100/set or more...but, either should last a long time, so I'm trying to not consider this.

What do you all think? Go with the older M/S and get a better size? Or will looks be negligible, and just go with the new M/S2? Thanks!

The smaller tire will be about 1.77" smaller in diameter, which would be noticeable. In addition to aesthetics, your speedometer would be off by about 6%. They likely have a different load rating (make sure whatever you put on is the same or higher than the sticker) and offer different handling characteristics.

I would probably go with something that is closer to the OEM tire size.

I've got P235/75/15XLs on my 95 F150, per placard. Their load index is, IIRC, 108.

If you do go down, get XL, at least. They're a middle ground between P and LT.

You can set the speedo/ odo on these for a new tire size... but only 5-6 times before it "runs out".

It'd be worth researching why yours specs 265 while mine 235. There's got to be a reason.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I've got P235/75/15XLs on my 95 F150, per placard. Their load index is, IIRC, 108.

You can set the speedo/ odo on these for a new tire size... but only 5-6 times before it "runs out".

It'd be worth researching why yours specs 265 while mine 235. There's got to be a reason.

Is yours 2wd? If so, the 2wd trucks often spec smaller tires than the 4x4s.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Is yours 2wd? If so, the 2wd trucks often spec smaller tires than the 4x4s.

It is but I had a 4x4, same year, same tire specs. My 2wd has 2.73 gears so it's set up for light duty.

The 235's would be a lot smaller and would be very noticeable. The proposed 31 inch tire would almost be the same size.

In any case, make sure the load indx or load capacity is the same or higher than what is on the door placard. The tread is less important to me than having enough capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back