dashcam

Status
Not open for further replies.
a dash cam is a must now a days. I told my wife I'm gonna get one, she thinks I'm paranoid. I had a crazy old lady in an old caddy change lanes on me the other week and I almost rearended her. she got into the right turn lane and changed her mind and pulled back in front of me very last minute

Funny you posted this, last night I ordered a dash mount for my iPhone and I'm going to use that as a dash cam. Much better quality video than other unless I spent a bunch of $$$ on one. They have free apps for dash cams on your phone too which you can turn off the microphone (which I'll use rather than the regular video recorder on my phone because I'm sure the profanity coming out of my mouth after someone's hits me, the cops won't be too happy about hearing
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Watch out for counterfeit cameras.

and utter rubbish!! I know of ONLY ONE reputable company making "dash cams" that is the Timetec Road Hawk product.

http://www.amazon.com/Timetec-Windshield-Dashboard-Camcorder-Microphone/dp/B00CXB186Y/ref=pd_ybh_17

You can buy a Road Hawk 720 rear facing cam. This is quality stuff, highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xoDPU4fu6E

In my opinion, a dash cam needs to do these things well:
License plates are legible.
Good NIGHT performance
easy controls to save "events".

Last edited:
Yup I got one -- RoadHawk HD. Saved me when I got t-boned by a semi truck. Guy said I was the one who ran the light. Lolnope

Video quality is pretty good, although audio is meh

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
a dash cam is a must now a days.

That is a sad statement. I will not be mounting a dash cam on my vehicle. Its one of the few places I get to be by myself these days. Why are we so paranoid that we think a dash cam is a must?

I started off with a G1W camera but decided that I didn't need a screen for any reason. I ended up with a wide angle Möbius camera that I mounted to the rear view mirror. Its completely out of site and doesnt move. I ran a wire through the headliner that is switched with the ignition. It loop records whenever I'm driving.

Because people suck.

Something happens, the other car, who has 2 witnesses in your car say you were at fault. You are by yourself in the car and it's your word against 2 other people. You lose.

Now imagine that you have a dash cam and got the whole thing on video. You send the video to your insurance company, they clear you of all liability and you get your deposit back.

In my case, I got hit when a semi ran a light. I was going straight, he was turning left in front of me coming the opposite way. I had the light, he had the yield. He went anyway, I braked/swerved, he never slowed down and nailed the aide of my car going about 10ish mph. 8k worth of damage.

Fast forward: he has a camera on his car, I was riding alone. Other insurance company tries to declare me 100% at fault. I send in my copy, my company says the other driver is at fault. Goes to arbitration, officially declares the truck driver at fault.

So yeah... As I said... People suck. It's good to have an undisputable witness in the car with you. That's all it really is. The issue nowadays is people don't have a sense of honesty anymore. If they cam save their own backs at the expense of someone else, they will

I'm not at that point yet that I need a dash cam. I'll get a police report and call my insurance company right away before the other guy calls his.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I started off with a G1W camera but decided that I didn't need a screen for any reason. I ended up with a wide angle Möbius camera that I mounted to the rear view mirror. Its completely out of site and doesnt move. I ran a wire through the headliner that is switched with the ignition. It loop records whenever I'm driving.

I have a FineVu CR-500HD. It doesn't have a playback screen. but does record events and protects them from overwriting. It also has a parking mode where it is always recording, but not writing data. When an event happens it backs up 5 seconds and then writes the data.

I also ran a wire in the headliner. Can't see the camera from outside.

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
Why do you people feel the need to record yourselves driving down the road? Why is that necessary?

Not recording myself. Recording all the clown drivers in Bellevue. Hilarity ensues.

Please stop commenting about why you need a dashcam.
I am asking about models and reviews where they were purchased. I will post my review and pics once it arrives.

Originally Posted By: gregoron
I'm not at that point yet that I need a dash cam. I'll get a police report and call my insurance company right away before the other guy calls his.

That will be little help when the other guy lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back