New Cooper Light Truck Winter tire...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... that has the 'snowflake' (severe weather) symbol AND a 50,000 mile warranty as well???

DiscovererATW.png

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Sport-Utility/Discoverer-A-TW.aspx
http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Discoverer-A-TW.aspx

That's pretty interesting. So like some Nokian tires, it has a winter tire rating but it can be used all year.

Quote:
The Discoverer A/Tw provides the on- and off-road, year-round performance required from an all-terrain tire. Plus, advanced compound technology and design innovations deliver uncompromised performance necessary to achieve the severe snow rating.

The tread pattern sort of looks like a snow tire.
DiscovererATW_LgTread.png

Looks like they added a bunch of sipes to the A/T3 tread pattern and maybe changed the compound a bit?

That would explain why the Discovere M+S snow tire is sold out everywhere.

not a winter tire but definitely winter oriented with that siping.

snowflake is actually really weak.

IIRC its 10% shorter stopping distance vs a reference all-season.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
not a winter tire but definitely winter oriented with that siping.

IIRC its 10% shorter stopping distance vs a reference all-season.

This would matter in quebec where the snowflake symbol is mandatory and people want a "legal" tire that won't burn up quickly, or, for some, that they can leave on through summer.

Depending on whether or not it has different compounds, I don't see why it couldn't be re-siped once it starts to get older. Seems like that would help it retain the slippery grip once the tire is wearing more.

I have been looking at the A/T3. It's a shame you can't buy a 215 85R16 tire any more. May end up with the Starfire 510 as the next tire on the Cherokee.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: Rand

Compared to what standard?

At least they didn't make their own snow symbol like Nokian.

Probably one of the better tires I have ever run in the snow wasn't snow labeled.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Depending on whether or not it has different compounds, I don't see why it couldn't be re-siped once it starts to get older. Seems like that would help it retain the slippery grip once the tire is wearing more.

I have been looking at the A/T3. It's a shame you can't buy a 215 85R16 tire any more. May end up with the Starfire 510 as the next tire on the Cherokee.

You can buy LT215/85R16 AT3 tires.

They make it in that size, but no one seems to stock/sell them locally or online. They were all unavailable when I was checking DTD and tread depot.

The discoverer STT and STMAX are also made in that size according to Cooper, but you can't find them anywhere online or in stores.

The availability of tires in that size is pretty small. I don't think I'll be putting another set of mud tires in that size on the Cherokee. They just don't exist any more.

Everyone wants balloon / toy tonka truck tires on their vehicles now.

Duratracs still come in 215/85R16. They're also known to be pretty good in the winter and studdable. I'm probably going to pick up a set of them in 235/85R16 to replace my current A/Ts (only get used offroad and to drive to / from trails, so street manners don't matter, I've got summer and winter sets for street use).

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

Duratracs still come in 215/85R16. They're also known to be pretty good in the winter and studdable. I'm probably going to pick up a set of them in 235/85R16 to replace my current A/Ts (only get used offroad and to drive to / from trails, so street manners don't matter, I've got summer and winter sets for street use).

I don't have the gears or lift for 235 85R16
frown.gif
215/85 are about perfect for my current setup!

Only a 5k mile disparity between that and the AT3- I bet they use the same compound. Or, possibly the compound Mastercraft is using on the AXT tires. When I was shopping last year I did a lot of homework and the Cooper technical guys told me the compounds between the AXT and AT3 were extremely similar with the Cooper's having a slightly better wearing composition and the Mastercraft's bias towards bad weather traction.

I like the looks, and with how well the AT3 already handles winter weather I'm sure these will be exceptional.

frown.gif

Heh, I'm insane apparently. I'm running no lift, and am going to be jamming the 235/85s on via pretty much whatever means necessary. My tape measure says they'll fit with minimal effort up front and no work at all in the back.

frown.gif

Heh, I'm insane apparently. I'm running no lift, and am going to be jamming the 235/85s on via pretty much whatever means necessary. My tape measure says they'll fit with minimal effort up front and no work at all in the back.

The stock wheels have a lot of back spacing and will fit in the fenders. I ran 215 85R16 with no lift in the front (and eventually back) and it fit. But the liberty wheels are high backspacing. Don't buy the Quadratec HD springs ... they sag after a year.

It wouldn't work with the lower backspacing wheels I'm running now.

Your 5.9 will be able to pull 32'' tires on stock gears a bit better than my 4.0 can.

Hopefully once I get the new axle in and I don't have any driveline vibrations, I'm going 4.56 and slightly bigger tires. I can play with bump stops to keep tires from knocking fenders off.

The stock wheels have a lot of back spacing and will fit in the fenders. I ran 215 85R16 with no lift in the front (and eventually back) and it fit. But the liberty wheels are high backspacing. Don't buy the Quadratec HD springs ... they sag after a year.

It wouldn't work with the lower backspacing wheels I'm running now.

Your 5.9 will be able to pull 32'' tires on stock gears a bit better than my 4.0 can.

Hopefully once I get the new axle in and I don't have any driveline vibrations, I'm going 4.56 and slightly bigger tires. I can play with bump stops to keep tires from knocking fenders off.

Good point. My set is going on a set of stock 5.9 wheels (16x7, 4.5" [censored] / +13 offset).

(16x7, 4.5" [censored] / +13 offset).

I was wondering why PCD would get caught in the profanity filter... now I'm wondering who spells circle with an 'S'...

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
(16x7, 4.5" [censored] / +13 offset).

I was wondering why PCD would get caught in the profanity filter... now I'm wondering who spells circle with an 'S'...

The bit that got caught was an abbreviation for backspacing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back